Is this cool looking reef rock or what?

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a shill nor do I have a dog in the fight, but IMNSHO, this live rock replica looks fantastic!

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the color of it. I prefer to get those colors naturally though. Just a personal preference. If you were doing a FOWLR tank they would be great!

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the color of it. I prefer to get those colors naturally though. Just a personal preference. If you were doing a FOWLR tank they would be great!
You make a good point. Mind you, I'm starting from Ground Zero. What rock did you start with?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. However will be covered in algae in no time

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a good point. Mind you, I'm starting from Ground Zero. What rock did you start with?
I personally started with dead porous Fiji rock on my first tank but when I upgraded to my second much larger tank I followed this thread and it ended up skipping cycle It might be worth looking into for you

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were starting a new tank I'd use all gulfliverock.com or KP rock

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally started with dead porous Fiji rock on my first tank but when I upgraded to my second much larger tank I followed this thread and it ended up skipping cycle It might be worth looking into for you

@Aldrinlights >> Thanx for the link... If I had a local source of fully cured live rock, I'd jump that method in a heartbeat!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be a Downer,, but I'm thinking unless you plan to pull the rock and scrubbing it monthly... I suspect live bacteria with grow covering the colors in the rock

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be a Downer,, but I'm thinking unless you plan to pull the rock and scrubbing it monthly... I suspect live bacteria with grow covering the colors in the rock
I'm getting the sense from many that the "cool" look will be obscured quickly. I'll have to discuss with my trusted LFS (they recommended it)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the price. I would not pay a lot for something I would cover with corals but if the price is comparable would probably try it if I was using dry. If the paint/color lasts then it would probably be nice for a FOWLR.

The dry stuff looks ugly white at first but eventually gets covered with real colors and corals.

My favorite is actually live rock like KPA.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting the sense from many that the "cool" look will be obscured quickly. I'll have to discuss with my trusted LFS (they recommended it)
Lfs have been recommending carib sea life rock as well but a lot of the purple on that rock can get picked off my hermits and snails. Mine is probably 20% white after 4 months in the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics is out of stock, as are most vendors of the live aquacultured rock.
It’s worth the wait!!

They still have the starter stuff which has all the bacteria still. My friend did that one to get less hitchikers. Still had some crabs he had to catch though.

Back