Is this crab bad or good?

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'll get some kickback on this... However...

I'm going to say if you didn't add it, call it bad. Usually the hairy ones are always bad. This one I have no idea what it is based on those legs. So I would call it bad for the tank by default.

Maybe others have more input on what it is though.

Upvote 0

Pstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a Sally Lightfoot crab. Research those. I had one for awhile and it was tan with the striped legs. Mine never bothered my coral and only became a problem when it got bigger: killed my hermit crabs, snails and pistol shrimp, then started trying to grab the fish.

Upvote 0

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps Mithraculus forceps? Mine has been safe though very reclusive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'll get some kickback on this... However...

I'm going to say if you didn't add it, call it bad. Usually the hairy ones are always bad. This one I have no idea what it is based on those legs. So I would call it bad for the tank by default.

Maybe others have more input on what it is though.
I’m definitely going to remove it I’m just curious if it’s bad or not anyway.

Upvote 1

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No it’s not, I used to have one and they look completely different.

Edit: I just rewatched the video, and I think you may be right. 1) it's legs aren't hairy enough, and 2) when it is out of the hole with it's claw in front, you can see (faintly) possible fans in front of it filtering (around the 40 second mark). It could be a Porcelain Crab. Either way, @ISpeakForTheSeas is right: better pics/ videos are needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to remove the crab and get some clearer pics of it - pics of the top of the shell showing the full body of the crab, and pics of the claws (preferably from the front of the crab) would be helpful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to remove the crab and get some clearer pics of it - pics of the top of the shell showing the full body of the crab, and pics of the claws (preferably from the front of the crab) would be helpful.
I got another video but it’s hard to get a video of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a top-down, straight-on pic of the top of the crab would help - you need the aerial perspective to really see the shape of the shell/carapace.
That’s going to be hard to get because it rarely comes out. What do you think it could be just from what you can see from these videos?

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what it is. are they bad?
They're safer than most crabs, but I'd say probably reef-safe with caution (not many people keep them, though, so that's from a small sample size to work with).

They're technically Xanthid crabs (which are generally not reef-safe), but these are generally very small, and at least one related species (Chlorodiella nigra) is sold occasionally as a "Black Mithrax Crab." I know at least one was kept without causing problems until it was full grown (then it reportedly started eating small inverts), but even emerald crabs are known to sometimes cause issues when larger.
I'm fairly confident you've got a young Chlorodielline crab of some variety there, probably a Chlorodiella sp., possibly C. nigra, but I'm not entirely sure.

The pattern on the legs may change a bit as it ages, and it should develop a somewhat rougher carapace, but it should stay small (adults of most of these species have a carapace size typically right around ~0.4"-0.75" full grown, so it really shouldn't pose a threat to most livestock - no guarantees with corals though) - there are claims that these can reach 8 cm/~3.14" full grown; I have seen absolutely no evidence to support that (even if you include the legs in the measurements).

I have seen one exceptionally large individual with a carapace width slightly less than 3 cm (it was ~1" carapace, and ~6 cm total counting fully outstretched legs); even at that size, it should be around the same size to somewhat smaller than a grown emerald crab.

I have also seen these for sale as "Black Mithrax Crabs" (no, they are not Mithrax crabs, nor are they closely related) - they're purportedly reef-safe, but I've also heard they may eat small inverts (like brittle stars).

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back