Is this Dinos?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Glacern
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Glacern

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 13, 2022
Messages
81
Reaction score
24
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month old tank and from what I’ve seen on some threads it looks like Dinos. The brown snotty look with air bubbles. This is an innovative marine lagoon 25. My phosphates are currently at 0.10 and nitrates are 11.7. My plan of attack is to use Microbacter 7, 11 watt hygger uv, spongexcel for silicates, and live phyto. What do you guys recommend to help get rid of this asap?
20260908_181714_68CC8BA1-D184-4C05-994B-E3F2B31B1F83.png


20260908_181715_EFD77519-E676-4596-B37F-F7EF4E5462A0.png
 
That looks very much like dinoflagellates yes.
Chrysophytes are often brighter/paler and diatoms look "dry" like dust and bubbles are less common. They certainly can appear (see page 5, post #91), but it's less common.

As your tank is only a month old dinoflagellates are very much expected. They are one of the early settlers of new surface area together with diatoms and some other (less problematic) organisms. If you keep your parameters stable, I think the problem will resolve itself. You can try to limit the outbreak by manual removal so your corals don't get covered, but dinoflagellates grow very fast and it will look like you didn't even make a dent in their population after a few hours or one day.
 
Thank you very much for this detailed response. I will keep this in mind and hope for the best. I still may try to use uv if you think that will be ok?
 
Thank you very much for this detailed response. I will keep this in mind and hope for the best. I still may try to use uv if you think that will be ok?
UV should be fine as long as the water is pumped through at the right speed. Too fast and the contact time won't be sufficient to attack the cell, too slow and you won't get enough cells in time before they reproduce. The is instructions of the UV sterilizer should state how many gallons per hour you are supposed to push through.

Patience will be key 😊 it's a new tank, you will probably have to deal with green hair algae and other outbreaks. They usually don't require you taking any actions, it's just "the ugly phase"
 
Ok I’ll give it a shot. I also see some bryopsis on a newly acquired frag even though I dipped. So might have to treat with fluconazole as well. This is one big mess to clean up lol.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new