Algae ID On Sandbed Only

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nick30G
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nick30G

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2018
Messages
238
Reaction score
204
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, need help IDing an algae I have had for about 1 year now that refuses to go away; it only grows on the sandbed in a orange/brown color. Some parts of it grow in slimy mats with no bubbles in it but most of it is the dusty type. It blows away very easily. I take a turkey baster to blow it off the sandbed and it goes away for several hours only to return. Tank has been setup for 8 years. Im heavily leaning towards its Dinos and not cyano, im guessing large cell Amphidinium since its only on the sandbed. I could dose silicates, currently been dosing microbacter 7 with no results. Nitrates: 5-10 ppm, phosphates 0.117 ppm, no other algae in the tank. Its covers about half my sandbed in random patches, not really a problem just annoying to look at.
6169d581-bbfb-4506-8cd1-aca08a4fbb35.jpg


f24269ba-1e71-4553-b444-2a9655ecb1dd.jpg


a2191a1c-fddf-4cc1-b6c6-b0200959c9a1.jpg


2c0432f5-8bc2-4395-a4d8-89c6dfc2ff36.jpg


d8f009ec-9c49-4151-b5d4-8c12e61cd21a.jpg
 
Last edited:
I had the same issue skimmer gho and light feeding and it always grew back after I sucked it out with a water change. I dosed silicates like you said and the stuff I dosed had a notice about coral which worried me but I dosed it and the algea completly went away! Every once in a while it came back then I added another dose and it would immediatly go away.
 
Starting dosing silicates yesterday, guess I will see how it goes.
 
Been dosing silicates for about a week now (Sodium Silicate 40%) 0.5ml for 1ppm per dose; was initially dosing 1x a week but have just decided to dose it daily because I have not seen any changes really; algae is still the brown type only growing on the sand bend; it grows in really thin and short slime mats/strings as shown in the photos. I wonder if I should get a microscope too to see if I can find out for sure what it is.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new