Reef tank the long way

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2020
Messages
1,063
Reaction score
1,497
Location
granville ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a while out of the hobby I have returned with more money to throw down the drain and slightly higher ambitions. I have a 25 gallon water box peninsula tank with a radon xr30 on it. I plan on having a mixed reef and my slightly higher ambitions are for it to be sps dominate. I didn’t take many photos setting up but the tank is set up and cycled and I finally added some new additions this last week.
Thanks for following along!
20260830_221223_B5FE0883-8F61-4496-9D4B-B27EDD7A04E4.png


20260830_221224_513CF745-9645-4B6A-99AD-CC2F5127F23E.png


20260830_221226_1401D33C-08C7-4BF2-BBC5-B80851269445.png


20260830_221226_6732B231-4143-4196-86A5-C3883D146278.png




20260830_221227_3A4B7FBB-472D-4C27-A3FC-52BF382B819C.png


20260830_221227_C6611BD5-A1B4-4723-847F-CEBB3D2DF07F.png


20260830_221229_FB6B1ECF-D9F0-4E6B-A9D2-BBAC1313D589.png
 
So after a while out of the hobby I have returned with more money to throw down the drain and slightly higher ambitions. I have a 25 gallon water box peninsula tank with a radon xr30 on it. I plan on having a mixed reef and my slightly higher ambitions are for it to be sps dominate. I didn’t take many photos setting up but the tank is set up and cycled and I finally added some new additions this last week.
Thanks for following along!
20260830_221223_B5FE0883-8F61-4496-9D4B-B27EDD7A04E4.png


20260830_221224_513CF745-9645-4B6A-99AD-CC2F5127F23E.png


20260830_221226_1401D33C-08C7-4BF2-BBC5-B80851269445.png


20260830_221226_6732B231-4143-4196-86A5-C3883D146278.png




20260830_221227_3A4B7FBB-472D-4C27-A3FC-52BF382B819C.png


20260830_221227_C6611BD5-A1B4-4723-847F-CEBB3D2DF07F.png


20260830_221229_FB6B1ECF-D9F0-4E6B-A9D2-BBAC1313D589.png
Welcome back, good luck!
 
Beautiful!
Can I beg you to consider a cinematographic hint to improve future clips:

Hold the camera still and steady, after you focus on the subject and count to three before you move on to the next coral. This will give your viewer the necessary time needed to evaluate the polyp extention and let their brains grasp onto the thing you are showing, (which are nice!)

beef jerky cow GIF by Jerky.com

(The only example I could find, wasn't a reef, sorry)
 
Following along!
 
So I went to the LFS and they had a deal on a walt disney and home wrecker and with zero self control I bought them... so now I have them and they seem to be settling in nicely! I am testing alk every 24 hours to see how much its being used to calculate how much I will need to dose. This tank has the most copopods Ive seen. In my old tank I would have some on the glass before I scraped it and then they would be gone but this tank has them all over the glass even after I scrape it. Hopefully this means my tank is doing well! I have this gold hammer I recently bought and it has been so stubborn about opening up it seems it just stays all tight as you see in the photos. On the parameters front all is good and stable exept I cannot for the life of me get my nitrates up I have been feeding pretty heavy and no luck I may switch to frozen food just to see if that changes anything but we will see. Any tips or tricks on these acros would be much apriciated as I have some experience with sps but not the most. Thank you!



IMG_0520.jpeg

AquaCam_037DDA48.jpeg

AquaCam_F41DD30C.jpeg

AquaCam_626B0F3D.jpeg

AquaCam_A93B7739.jpeg

AquaCam_1E2938DB.jpeg

AquaCam_DD14A62A.jpeg

AquaCam_DD14A62A.jpeg

AquaCam_626B0F3D.jpeg
 
I found some nitrate additive in a cabnet so im going to dose a little of that and eventually get a hanna nitrate test kit. I will only dose this twice then get my nitrate tested next weekend when I do a water change and hopefully the nitrate will go up. I will also be feeding only brine shrimp with the hopes that will help aswell. Hopefully the phosphates wont skyrocket.
 
Just got 2 new acros from the lfs for a sick 30% off. I got a strawberry short cake and a jason fox fox flame. Numbers are lower than where I want them but they are consistant. Nitrate is still zero but phos is creeping up so im going to cut back feeding and up the nitrate dosing. Algea is starting to grow everywhere so I orded a clean up crew kit from Reef Cleaners so we will see how they do. Walt disney is starting to encust and homewrecker.
AquaCam_0E1297CD 2.JPG
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new