Is this enough live rock?

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a couple months into my first saltwater tank and have a lot to learn still. I've been wondering about this, so I thought I'd just ask here: Do I have "enough" sand & live rock in my tank? I am asking mainly in regard to biological filtration, but also a little bit about sufficient fish hiding places.

It is a 37 gallon aquarium, tall. I used ocean direct sand, about 3" deep and carribsea dry live rock and base rock. I don't have the rock weights; you can see the amount in the pictures. I have no mechanical filtration or refugium/sump, just a powerhead. I plan to keep it as a FOWLR+inverts setup.

I currently only have a clownfish and a firefish, and a CUC of 2 shrimp, 1 urchin, 1 snail. I'd like to eventually add as my full stocking 1 each of the following: coral beauty, blue-green chromis, blue spotted jawfish, and a Banggai cardinalfish. And maybe another snail(s) if needed.

I like the asthetics of my tank as-is, but have been wondering if I have enough biological filtering for my planned stocking. I like minimalism and don't want to add a skimmer or sump if I can avoid it. I currently do weekly 5 gallon water changes and don't mind doing the frequent water changes. Thanks.

20230619_205803.jpg 20230619_205935.jpg 20230619_201607.jpg 20230619_205630.jpg

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting to say the rock work is really cool. I would only be able to guess at the answer to your question as I’ve always used some kind of export system for extra nutrients.

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting to say the rock work is really cool. I would only be able to guess at the answer to your question as I’ve always used some kind of export system for extra nutrients.
Thank you! My export method is weekly 15% water changes. Again, I'm still learning and have a lot left to learn... but one thing I think I'm picking up on is there's many ways to skin the cat in this hobby on nutrient export, disease treatment, etc.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a build thread. I’d like to see how it goes.

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a beautiful looking tank! Love what you did with the scaping. I don’t see an issue with the eventual stocking other than the coral beauty needing more space. But I’m sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back