Is this flashing?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are a couple of other threads on R2R of similar experiences with firefish flashing. Not sure what the issue is, but it didn't appear that copper and prazi worked on any of these previous firefish to stop the flashing either.

Thread #1

Thread #2

If I introduce the fish to my DT, what are the risks to my existing livestock? I have 2 clowns and a mandarin, all 3 fish have been in the DT for 3-5 months. Do flukes jump species?

Yes they can. Flukes drop off the fish, lay eggs, hatch, and then reattach, so it can infect any or all of your fish. Saying that, not all fish are as prone to them as others.

And we don't know for sure we are even dealing with flukes... it might be something else still.

The only fish I've had in QT over 30 in copper and prazi and still have issues, turned out to be bacterial.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I'm actually thinking behavioural might be the answer.

If I introduce the fish to my DT, what are the risks to my existing livestock? I have 2 clowns and a mandarin, all 3 fish have been in the DT for 3-5 months. Do flukes jump species?

Different fluke species have different host specialties - and these are not well known, so yes, there is always a chance that if there are flukes, they will spread to other species.

Personally, I like to end all my fish quarantines with a two week observation period. If you do that, and the fish aren't flashing more often, I think you would be safe to add them to the DT.

Jay

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've seen this behavior in firefish and at least in my case, it was a territorial display. They'll do it in vision of the other fish (likely one of the same sex) in front of the area they're claiming, and that's why it's such a pronounced looking display, and usually why it happens only occasionally (and I've only seen it in the sand bed).

Not that there aren't also flukes or otherwise, but I don't think the behavior itself is necessarily an indicator of a problem.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back