When to worry about flashing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just tested - both at 0.0

I have a Penguin 350 HOB Power Filter. But I have removed all carbon, which is causing the cloudiness. Water was crystal clear before treatment.

When would you add carbon back in?
If treating with Prazi - when done. This tank is underfiltered as its a mechanical unit and biowheels have Very Little surface and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The penguin will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100.
I have a hard time believing your readings are zero with cloudiness and type of filtration and suspect false readings.
When you get an opportunity, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
R

rklong3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If treating with Prazi - when done. This tank is underfiltered as its a mechanical unit and biowheels have Very Little surface and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The penguin will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100.
I have a hard time believing your readings are zero with cloudiness and type of filtration and suspect false readings.
When you get an opportunity, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Sorry, forgot to mention I do have a HOB skimmer. It's not running now during treatment so forgot about it.

I also have a very healthy pod population in my DT, turbo and nassarius snails, and about 50lbs of mature live rock.

Will look into the items you mentioned and take water to LFS for a test.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry, forgot to mention I do have a HOB skimmer. It's not running now during treatment so forgot about it.

I also have a very healthy pod population in my DT, turbo and nassarius snails, and about 50lbs of mature live rock.

Will look into the items you mentioned and take water to LFS for a test.
You can run skimmer, just take the collection cup off for added oxygen and prevention of foaming

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. Any treatments you'd recommend to try and avoid bacterial infection issues?

In the video, the firefish is still breathing more deeply than I would like to see. Any chance of being able to put the tank through hyposalinity? No invertebrates can be in the tank of course.

Jay

OP
OP
R

rklong3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video, the firefish is still breathing more deeply than I would like to see. Any chance of being able to put the tank through hyposalinity? No invertebrates can be in the tank of course.

Jay
That is my next step. I'm going to do the second interval of Prazi tomorrow and let it run its course. Then, if i still see signs of distress I'm going to migrate my snails to QT and run hypo in the DT. Sound like the best plan?

So far, everyone is still doing OK, Firefish is still breathing heavily though.

OP
OP
R

rklong3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vette ok guys, second treatment has run its course. Within just a few days my watchman is flashing again. I think Prazi is just no longer effective. I'm thinking about removing the two fish from DT and letting it fallow to kill these parasites. But this would leave me with a watchman, firefish, dottyback, and flame cardinal all in a 10 gallon tank. That's probably not ideal right?

I considered hyposalinity in DT but really don't want to kill off my coraline and copepod population.

Thoughts?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance of picking up another 10g or larger tank to do hypo in? I think the fallow/hypo in other tank would be better if you want to keep your display "active".

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vette ok guys, second treatment has run its course. Within just a few days my watchman is flashing again. I think Prazi is just no longer effective. I'm thinking about removing the two fish from DT and letting it fallow to kill these parasites. But this would leave me with a watchman, firefish, dottyback, and flame cardinal all in a 10 gallon tank. That's probably not ideal right?

I considered hyposalinity in DT but really don't want to kill off my coraline and copepod population.

Thoughts?

Tough to say - IMO, the coralline will return and copepods are incidental if the fish end up dying. Putting all of those fish in a 10 gallon seems risky to me.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back