Loss of Appetite after treating with Expel-P?

rklong3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with an ongoing issue (detailed here) where my Watchman Goby and Firefish have been flashing regularly. No other visible symptoms.

I've treated multiple times with Prazi but each time the flashing returned after a few weeks.

I decided to try Expel-P and 3 days after treatment, my watchman has not eaten a thing. Firefish appetite is normal.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any advise? I normally don't worry about loss of appetite for a few days but this is going on longer than I'm comfortable with.

I'm also not sure whether I should give the second dose of Expel-P as recommended?

Thank you for any insight!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been struggling with an ongoing issue (detailed here) where my Watchman Goby and Firefish have been flashing regularly. No other visible symptoms.

I've treated multiple times with Prazi but each time the flashing returned after a few weeks.

I decided to try Expel-P and 3 days after treatment, my watchman has not eaten a thing. Firefish appetite is normal.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any advise? I normally don't worry about loss of appetite for a few days but this is going on longer than I'm comfortable with.

I'm also not sure whether I should give the second dose of Expel-P as recommended?

Expel not the most effective but like prazi can impact oxygen and appetite
Add airstone and assure ammonia and nitrate has not risen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did the wtachman stop eating after or before the treatment?

I've not used that actual product, but it is Levamisole, and the dose is pretty much in line with how it is used. It is only effective against non-encysted nematodes. I'm not sure about dosing it a second time, I've always used Levamisole as a "one and done" treatment. If you do treat a second time, I would do a large water change first.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious did you treat your fish with copper? at any time during QT?

OP
OP
R

rklong3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expel not the most effective but like prazi can impact oxygen and appetite
Add airstone and assure ammonia and nitrate has not risen
Thank you! I added an airstone and he very quickly began swimming more actively. I even got him to eat a few pieces of shrimp tonight I'm thinking it might have just been low O2 but will keep monitoring closely.....

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you! I added an airstone and he very quickly began swimming more actively. I even got him to eat a few pieces of shrimp tonight I'm thinking it might have just been low O2 but will keep monitoring closely.....
Likely yes and continue added air until treatment done

OP
OP
R

rklong3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the wtachman stop eating after or before the treatment?

I've not used that actual product, but it is Levamisole, and the dose is pretty much in line with how it is used. It is only effective against non-encysted nematodes. I'm not sure about dosing it a second time, I've always used Levamisole as a "one and done" treatment. If you do treat a second time, I would do a large water change first.

Jay
This time he stopped eating after treatment. He normally has a very large appetite, but when his flukes/worms/whatever issue he has flares up, the first sign is he stops eating and becimes lethargic. Normally, after a Prazi treatment, he starts eating again the very next day. Worth mentioning that he has a very strong reaction to prazi, he jerks/shudders/breathes heavily. It's pretty alarming, but the treatment does seem to be effective.....at least for a month or two before he starts flashing again. I decided to try Expel due to Prazi seemingly not getting the job done. I probably won't dose again, but I'm not sure what to do if/when the flashing starts again. I've used Prazi so many times in my DT that I doubt it is effective any more.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This time he stopped eating after treatment. He normally has a very large appetite, but when his flukes/worms/whatever issue he has flares up, the first sign is he stops eating and becimes lethargic. Normally, after a Prazi treatment, he starts eating again the very next day. Worth mentioning that he has a very strong reaction to prazi, he jerks/shudders/breathes heavily. It's pretty alarming, but the treatment does seem to be effective.....at least for a month or two before he starts flashing again. I decided to try Expel due to Prazi seemingly not getting the job done. I probably won't dose again, but I'm not sure what to do if/when the flashing starts again. I've used Prazi so many times in my DT that I doubt it is effective any more.
How did you apply/use Prazi?
You want to dose at 80 -85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
R

rklong3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you apply/use Prazi?
You want to dose at 80 -85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
I followed this almost to a T. I have done 100% of the recommended dosage though, so maybe need to cut back a bit. I also hadn't typically used an airstone so will be sure to do that going forward as well. Thank you!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back