is this from abrasion??

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 chromis, and a tiny scooter blenny sunday ( 4 days ago) put them in my qt tank running .25 copper at the moment. they looked good, except i spectinf them in the bag before i vought them the one had a small spot on it.. but I've seen that happen when you catch fish w a net. it is looking way worate and bigger, plus another one has an odd dark coloring on both sides down one the bottom edge of it. of the three, one is Def bigger.. that one has no marks. chromis are not aggressive, except now that the one looks bad it is getting g chased a bit 20220505_201516.jpg 20220505_201516.jpg 20220505_201436.jpg 20220505_201446.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will the tiny blend end up w it?
Uronema can’t really be treated when it is internal like this, but it also isn’t super contagious to other fish.
I was curious though - what copper product are you running? 0.25 ppm doesn’t match up to an dose I’m familiar with.
Jay

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema can’t really be treated when it is internal like this, but it also isn’t super contagious to other fish.
I was curious though - what copper product are you running? 0.25 ppm doesn’t match up to an dose I’m familiar with.
Jay
Jay what causes it?

Also why does it seem so pervasive if it isn't really that infectious?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay what causes it?

Also why does it seem so pervasive if it isn't really that infectious?

There seems to be at least two types of "Uronema" - external and internal. External is seen in seahorses and seadragons, and responds to formalin and some other treatments. Those lesions start on the outside of the fish. The internal "Uronema" is a protozoan that gets inside the fish (I don't know how) and begins to consume the muscle tissue. Eventually, the lesion breaks through the skin, making it seem external, but it has actually be growing internally for quite some time. There may even be other species of protozoan involved. In general, these are all Scuticociliates, I can't tell them apart, and many species are free-living and feed on bacteria and organic matter.

The species type and collection/transport factors all seem to play a role in its transmission. The commonly affected fish are; green chromis, yellow coris, Anthias and sometimes butterflyfish. They almost always show infection in the first 40 days following importation - that implies something happening in the supply chain. Additionally, during Covid, when the supply chain was so disrupted, Uronema seemed even more common.

Somebody shared a video with me of a veterinarian injecting a clownfish with metronidazole as a treatment. Trouble is, I don't have anything more than that to go on, and to be honest, I question the diagnosis, as I've never seen internal "Uronema" in a clownfish.

I wish I had the time/resources to study this further, there is so much I don't know about it!

Jay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back