Is this gha or something else?

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Happy 4th!!!!!

So as the title suggests I have myself an algae problem and its not getting better.

The tank is a innovative marine AIO 25 gal lagoon, light reef tank to say haha. But 2 and half months ago I had a terrible bubble algae outbreak. it took over the tank in a week. Honestly that was pretty stressful but I dosed a little bit of vibrant for reef tanks and in about 3 weeks it cleared up.

I bring that up cause that was the most recent algae problem ive had and im curious if the vibrant I dosed is causing my algae bloom now, i have had this nussance algae going on for about a month now even after all this my maintenance.

I do weekly 6 gallon water changes along with a 15 gallon once a month.
Here are my parameters:

NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PH: 8.3
KH:180
Calcium: 400

those are all test for using my strips and some from my api reef test kit.

Im open to ideas because this algae is taking over my tank, I have scrubed it off of rocks and the back glass and it comes back in a day or 2. I'm having a rough time and its truly upsetting but I
won't give up!!!!

Thank you all for the help and I can't wait to hear how simple it is to fix cause I feel like the answer is right under my nose and I can't see it haha!
20210703_151150.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot like hair algae. Do you have a clearer picture? Try taking one straight/parallel to the tank.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely looks like green hair algae (GHA). A common nuisance, but not too hard to deal with. Manual removal is a good way to keep under control. Consider some clean up crew (snails, hermits, urchin) but don't add too many.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely looks like green hair algae (GHA). A common nuisance, but not too hard to deal with. Manual removal is a good way to keep under control. Consider some clean up crew (snails, hermits, urchin) but don't add too many.
Ive heard good things about urchins but im a little hesitant to get one. Ive heard that they can cause problems with corals. And should I worry about them eating my fish? haha. But also should I keep dosing vibrant or just stop for a bit? Thanks again!

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the same things about urchins got pin cushion urchin-it doesn't touch the GHA.
Heard the same thing about hermit crabs, turbo snails etc. NONE touched the GHA. Heard that about Vibrant, it killed everything except the GHA and the fish. Tank to small for a tang.
What has worked everytime for me and NEVER killed anything but the GHA is Fluconazole.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the same things about urchins got pin cushion urchin-it doesn't touch the GHA.
Heard the same thing about hermit crabs, turbo snails etc. NONE touched the GHA. Heard that about Vibrant, it killed everything except the GHA and the fish. Tank to small for a tang.
What has worked everytime for me and NEVER killed anything but the GHA is Fluconazole.
What is that stuff?
i haven't heard of it, is it like an algae killer?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Happy 4th!!!!!

So as the title suggests I have myself an algae problem and its not getting better.

The tank is a innovative marine AIO 25 gal lagoon, light reef tank to say haha. But 2 and half months ago I had a terrible bubble algae outbreak. it took over the tank in a week. Honestly that was pretty stressful but I dosed a little bit of vibrant for reef tanks and in about 3 weeks it cleared up.

I bring that up cause that was the most recent algae problem ive had and im curious if the vibrant I dosed is causing my algae bloom now, i have had this nussance algae going on for about a month now even after all this my maintenance.

I do weekly 6 gallon water changes along with a 15 gallon once a month.
Here are my parameters:

NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PH: 8.3
KH:180
Calcium: 400

those are all test for using my strips and some from my api reef test kit.

Im open to ideas because this algae is taking over my tank, I have scrubed it off of rocks and the back glass and it comes back in a day or 2. I'm having a rough time and its truly upsetting but I
won't give up!!!!

Thank you all for the help and I can't wait to hear how simple it is to fix cause I feel like the answer is right under my nose and I can't see it haha!
20210703_151150.jpg
Unless there’s sensitive corals or an anemone, you can take it out, mix equal parts tank water with hydrogen peroxide into a small bowl or cup, dip a toothbrush into it and scrub it. When you’re done, fill a bowl/bucket big enough to fit the rock and dunk it good repeatedly for a minute before returning it to your tank. Cheapest way to get rid of it, but use gloves and glasses incase of poly toxin from polyps or aiptasia.
AlgaeFix is a FDA approved option, as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back