Is this GSP?

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bit of cured rock from an lfs to seed some dry rock. I noticed these little polyps on the rock and I think it's GSP. I was planning on getting some put was going to attach it to the back wall. If this is GSP I might have to separate this rock from the rest.

20210623_205442.jpg 20210623_205350.jpg

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clearer pic under white lighting would be helpful, but I'm going to vote no. Do the Polyps appear to come out of an encrusted mat or from the live rock? Mat is likely GSP, otherwise it's possibly the dreaded Majano Anemone...

Last edited:

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like it. Beautiful coral, but it can become a nuisance left unchecked. Keep some epoxy on hand to smother/manipulate it. Be careful. GL.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not GSP.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majano or hydroid. I'm not the guy to answer it though

OP
OP
D

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clearer pic under white lighting would be helpful, but I'm going to vote no. Do the Polyps appear to come out of an encrusted mat or from the live rock? Mat is likely GSP, otherwise it's possibly the dreaded Majano Anemone...
They are coming out of an entrusting mat. The polyps are small at the moment and more keep popping up. I counted about 16 yesterday and today I see about 25 with more white nubs that will most likely be more polyps.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are coming out of an entrusting mat. The polyps are small at the moment and more keep popping up. I counted about 16 yesterday and today I see about 25 with more white nubs that will most likely be more polyps.
If you want to keep it, but don't want it taking over your tank, isolate the rock to its own territory.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much better pic. You've got yourself a GSP rock island. Those look really nice with a gorgonian growing out of the field of green grass. I've always had good luck peeling off pieces of the mat for containment or fragging.

GSP is both hardy and temperamental. It's not uncommon for it to stay ticked off for long periods, especially after a tank change.

If GSP is on your stocking list then I'd say it's a great find!

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you killed 2 birds with one stone.
Live rock to seed dry rock and gsp you wanted to buy.

On a side note a 8 inch by 8 inch gsp i bought last week was teaming with life.
Spionid worms x2
Spaghetti worms x3
Lots amphipods
These little isopods no one could say what was .
Possible sundial snail.
So after fragging gsp which easily pulled/prized off the rock,( not sure why alot say hard to remove from rocks with crevices,maybe mine wasnt as deep in crevices)but ended up trying to save by heavily dosing coral dip to irritate them to move off rock and save but think dosed to much so ended up binning the large frag plug with rocks on top .
Really wish i had the balls to just leave it be as just recently i been telling myself that want natural reef tank with as much bio diversity as possible but after finding isopods/possible sundial snail im thinking cut off all corals from frag plugs and re-attach to new plugs or rock but then what and how i get bio-diversity idk lol
But not trying say your gsp rock infested with bad things.just talking out loud lol
Good luck with gsp and looking good ^_^

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back