Is this Aiptasia?

Jugern0t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ozNXXs.jpg
GU8Vrw.jpg
This GSP frag attached to the backwall has been in the tank ~3-4 weeks, the little critter in question seemed to be attached to the GSP. It looked similar in color to the purple mat of the GSP, so I thought it was the GSP stretching to grow onto the back wall.

Today the little guy has moved away from the GSP though.

Wondering if I should remove it before it reaches the sandbed or a rock or something. If it's not something harmful I'm ok with nature finding its way.

Thanks in advance,

OP
OP
J

Jugern0t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually looks like a tiny bubbletip anemone. I don't think it's a rockflower anemone, but it's definitely an ameone.
Thanks for the quick reply, it sure does seem to be moving quickly. I couldn't find any pictures that looked like it online, If it isn't harmful though I don't want to take it out. Maybe my clowns got an unexpected new friend?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply, it sure does seem to be moving quickly. I couldn't find any pictures that looked like it online, If it isn't harmful though I don't want to take it out. Maybe my clowns got an unexpected new friend?
They just might have, yes. They can move very quickly when properly motivated (what triggers that is anyone's guess).

mrehfeld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get it? I wonder if its a natural spawn of a male and female anemone. That would be cool too.

OP
OP
J

Jugern0t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get it? I wonder if its a natural spawn of a male and female anemone. That would be cool too.
Just a LFS, would definitely be cool though.

Also worth noting I've never actually seen aiptasia in any of his tanks. I'm sure they're around, they have to be right?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back