Is this healthy?

Acro Junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
2,579
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Every time I feed certian SPS release these long stringy tentacles, these are different from the polyp extension curious if this is signs of them feeding or healthy? The stingyness looks similar to that of when bubble scrubbing occurs and the mucus is released.

B0811FDB-1E12-454A-9C6F-E3915342683E.jpeg 239B88EC-52F4-48D5-871C-A6037D49AB8C.jpeg
 
I have had that happen when I fed with pe mysis or anything with selcon mixed in it. I had a ton of fish and was feeding a lot but I don’t know if it was a good thing honestly.
 
Messenterial filaments. It can be a feeding response, but can also be a sign of irritation. Keep an eye on it, and if it keeps growing and looking healthy, then there's nothing to worry about.
 
It’s simply mucous. The coral is irritated. Not mesenterial filaments either, those will look like tiny coiled white strands and come out of the polyps mouth. Mesenterial filaments will also not detach with flow, that’s a conclusive test to check. Polyps will extend and actively grab food if it’s actually eating. years ago when I fed with the real deal frozen cyclopeeze i could feed a whole tank and witness corals actually catch and swallow food. Zero sliming as shown above. I have yet to find a replacement food that works as well and I have tried nearly everything commercially available. Only thing that comes close is fish eggs from fresh fish that I catch myself in the gulf.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new