Is this high electrical usage?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just moved into a new place 3 months ago and I notice my electric bill has gone up. Of course to blame is central air and heating. But besides that is a usage of ~1000 kwh per month s lot for a 3 bedroom house? I've only lived on my own for 2 years now so I am getting use to "saving energy" I also have 3 nano aquariums which arent helping the electricity. My bill altogether comes to be around $150 for electric.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always around 2500kwh a month I have a 3 bedroom also it all depends on when your home how many devices are running. How often and efficent those devices are(fridge, central air/heat) is your hot water heater gas or electric?
Dryer electric or gas? All makes a difference. If you want to know what your tank is using get an amp meter from home depot and use the inductive clamp on your power strip cable when everything is on, thatll give you the peak amp draw. I'm sure it's less than 5 Amps per tank on nanos. My 80g uses about 9amps at peak with 5 lights a monster skimmer big heater 2 power heads, chiller and return pump

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest month I've had this year is about 1500 kwh in my 2+1 bedroom house. That was June when I had no heating or cooling going. 3 nano's are not going to make a dent if you're running electric heat or AC.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest month I've had this year is about 1500 kwh in my 2+1 bedroom house. That was June when I had no heating or cooling going. 3 nano's are not going to make a dent if you're running electric heat or AC.
Okay so basically then my tanks are abysmal compared to every other device in my house is what I am gathering. I'll tell you one thing tho. Before my fiance moved in my electric was only 50$ per month haha

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so basically then my tanks are abysmal compared to every other device in my house is what I am gathering. I'll tell you one thing tho. Before my fiance moved in my electric was only 50$ per month haha

I don't know what equipment you are running. If they have metal halides and crazy pumps they will use a lot more then led's and dc pumps. They certainly are using energy and contributing to the bill, but there are likely other factors. Even still your overall usage seems to be pretty normal.

You can find calculators where you can add up the wattage and your pricing per kwh -(keep in mind most places have time of use so electricity is more expensive at certain times of the day).

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding extra members to the household really adds to the bill. Just say your fiancé blow dries her hair for 20 min using a typical 1500w hairdryer that is like your nano 100w heater running for 5 hours straight.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot my fiance has a lizard as well. 150 watt ceramic heater running 24/7 150 watt basking light on 12 hours and 150 watt uvb bulb on 12 hours. The lizard alone draws more energy than 2 of my tanks haha.
Thatll do it. Plus is she home when your not. I noticed when I was working midnight's and my wife was working days our electric went up bc 24hrs a day things were on. Instead of only at night for a few hours after work and off while we slept. So that makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thatll do it. Plus is she home when your not. I noticed when I was working midnight's and my wife was working days our electric went up bc 24hrs a day things were on. Instead of only at night for a few hours after work and off while we slept. So that makes a huge difference.
She is stay at home I work all day

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's with gas heat and stove for me as well. It's getting cold so my gas usage of course went up

Ask about the billing option that they spread it out over the whole year and will give you a steady bill rather then really high bills in the winter and low bills in the summer you pay for non usage in the summer but it works out way better than the crazy bill you get in the winter. It is called budget billing for the service I use. Also only works when it is not in a storage tank and is directly piped into the house.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back