OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
confirmed flukes. many came off the puffer. confirmed with fritz about prazy and there ich stuff. dosed prazi on the 5th will does again on the 12th as my temp was slightly raised for the ich stuff.

well

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are on day 4 of the ich treatment. And the fish are showing signs of ich again. Not sure if this is normal. Been dosing the correct amount but certainly has come back even thou 3 doses have happend.

It might be velvet based on how rapid and numerous those spots are, but the fact that each cyst is large makes me think that it isn't velvet.

Photos under white light is really needed here. From what I can see, this is a moderate case of ich, you’ll need to get a treatment started right away. The trouble is, you can’t really treat the fish in a tank with coral rock, that tends to pull the copper medication out of the water. Do you have a treatment tank available?
Jay

Oodinum or lympho is my guess but without pics is a guess.
I understand you’re working on pics. Assure camera lens are clean and under white lighting
The clearer the pics- the clearer the answer

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are on day 4 of the ich treatment. And the fish are showing signs of ich again. Not sure if this is normal. Been dosing the correct amount but certainly has come back even thou 3 doses have happend.
Sorry to hear of the continued troubles. Sounds like your fish did have multiple issues as I wondered (ich and flukes). That makes things very difficult to resolve.

Here is a thread where one person used Fix Ich in an early case of ich. If you read the first few messages, and then scroll to March 2021, you see the OP says it suppressed, but didn't cure his issue.

Jay

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of the continued troubles. Sounds like your fish did have multiple issues as I wondered (ich and flukes). That makes things very difficult to resolve.

Here is a thread where one person used Fix Ich in an early case of ich. If you read the first few messages, and then scroll to March 2021, you see the OP says it suppressed, but didn't cure his issue.

Jay

Darn, i see and he seems very thorough. What do you suggest moving forward? Im assuming its copper power? but would have to rip apart the tank mostly because of the coral rock?

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because at this point I don’t know what to do. I wanna save the last 2 fish. But nothing I do seems to work. I really need some direction on this :/

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, i see and he seems very thorough. What do you suggest moving forward? Im assuming its copper power? but would have to rip apart the tank mostly because of the coral rock?
That's the issue; coral sand and rock is going to mess with your copper treatment. Also, switching to copper at this point may just set the copper up to fail as well (it takes at least 3 days for it to begin to control things).
I typically use Coppersafe because it has few side effects, but it is also VERY slow to work, I don't like to use it for active infections. You could use Cupramine, I hear it works quicker. Trouble is you can't just "one dose and done" treat this tank, you'll need a good copper test kit in order to calculate partial doses over time. The Hanna copper checker is the best way to go, but if you can't find one locally, waiting for one to be shipped to you won't work, too long of a delay.
So - fish only, in a tank with coral rock - if you can remove most of the rock and replace it with PVC pipes or other inert material for the fish to hide in, and then try copper. However, if you are seeing ANY benefit with the Fix Ich, I would say just keep going for better or worse.....

Jay

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the spots dispeared. But they are back. Maybe this is the next gen. And should dose another week. But if it’s just a waste of time and if it’s true it’s just being suppressed. I’m more than happy to just rip out the rock and get pvc. Hannah reader I think would need to be ordered but the store does sale cupramine.

Right now the goal is to save what’s left. and so far I guess I’ve been failing to do that.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sorry to hear this

make every effort to save your fish as they rely on you. Makes me think if I have everything on deck in case of a outbreak

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying! I’m going to take the rock out and dump them in a bin. Then pvc tubes in the tank. Then try wht ever copper product I can get to kinda kill all this stuff off.

I guess the alternative is to try and catch them and buy a 50 gal qt but that will take time to cycle etc. since my little qt tank is not gonna be big enough for 2 big fish
From
What I’ve read people love copper power but I probs can’t source that today. Cupramine I think I can get as well as a copper test kit.

this will atleast clear the ich. And Prazi killed off the first generation of flukes!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleared ich with tank transfer method. I used some plastic storage totes I already had. Just an idea if you can’t get copper or prefer not to use meds.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to fritz and got a response

Basically confirming what I thought

"
This is normal as the medication won't affect eggs or cysts, so any that could have hatched in the last few days weren't killed. You can repeat the treatment as needed."

So I guess I keep dumping in product until its gone.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - everything died. Honestly I don’t understand why. Everything was eating. Spots were coming and going but ultimately fixich seemed ineffective if im
Honest. With everything dead - do I a) drain the tank or b) just keep it ticking over til the middle of august since that’s fallow for 90 days

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back