Is this Ich

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just got a few fish to put in my tank and they were all in copper before adding from the fish store. Nor did I see ay signs of ich. Its been 3 days and there has been some flight aggression between some fish and has subsided
tempImageYyekYe.png
tempImaged9pHn9.png
and im now seeing these small white dots on some of the fish. Is this ich?

Thank you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HandsyLobster Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi All,

I just got a few fish to put in my tank and they were all in copper before adding from the fish store. Nor did I see ay signs of ich. Its been 3 days and there has been some flight aggression between some fish and has subsided
tempImageYyekYe.png
tempImaged9pHn9.png
and im now seeing these small white dots on some of the fish. Is this ich?

Thank you.
It is indeed ich and this fish and any other within the tank should be treated using coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed ich and this fish and any other within the tank should be treated using coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Thank you,

I have a mandarin goby, it only eats pods how would I feed it? im worried about that. Also are you sure this is ich and not velvet?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you,

I have a mandarin goby, it only eats pods how would I feed it? im worried about that. Also are you sure this is ich and not velvet?
I would not place Mandarin in copper as they are sensitive to copper. They are somewhat resistant, Not immune to ich and if they get it, treat with either General cure or chloroquine Phosphate in Separate tank

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Ich, velvet presents differently.
Thank you!

Im going to find a starfish tank on Facebook marketplace and start this treatment.
I would not place Mandarin in copper as they are sensitive to copper. They are somewhat resistant, Not immune to ich and if they get it, treat with either General cure or chloroquine Phosphate in Separate tank
Thank you! this helps a lot!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back