Is this look normal for a Derasa clam???

overraded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new derasa clam to my reef about 7 days ago. Clam is about 5" and looked great until the last 24 hours. It looks very retracted and has it mouth wide open. All water parameters are within normal limits. I feed the tank oceanmagik phytoplankton or oyster feast every other day. Is this a normal phase of a clam or should I be concerned?

IMG_8537.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam have not been a healthy clam for a while. There are no white growth on the shells. Healthy clams must have new shell growth. I would never buy a clam with no white on the edge of the shells.

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new derasa clam to my reef about 7 days ago. Clam is about 5" and looked great until the last 24 hours. It looks very retracted and has it mouth wide open. All water parameters are within normal limits. I feed the tank oceanmagik phytoplankton or oyster feast every other day. Is this a normal phase of a clam or should I be concerned?

IMG_8537.jpg
Where did you get it from? Sure your params are all within range? Either it was already in bad shape or something in your tank was so off it killed it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your clam. They are difficult to find healthy specimens, ime.
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

OP
OP
overraded

overraded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam was fully extended at the store where I bought it. Also, it was fully extended for the first 4 days in my tank. Any idea why it would die so fast? Also, can you explain the desired 'white growth on the shell'?

OP
OP
overraded

overraded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get it from? Sure your params are all within range? Either it was already in bad shape or something in your tank was so off it killed it.
I bought from LFS. I trust them and buy from them often. Store owner said he has had the clam for a few weeks.

I run an APEX and keep the parameters tight.
Salinity 35
pH 8.1
Temp 77
Calc, Alk, Mg within normal limts.

Lights are RedSea ReefLED 90's set on 80% Blue and 40% White.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are notorious for "looking happy as a clam" the died overnight. A clam cannot be call healthy unless it is growing. This is a shell of a healthy clam:
Clam2019080302Gigas#1.jpg
Clam2020100201Noae.jpg

OP
OP
overraded

overraded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help and advice. I will look for a clam with more shell growth next time. I'm feeling bummed that my first experience with a clam was such a failure. I tried to read up on clams with the info you guys posted before I bought this one.

Would you all recommend a derasa clams for beginners or try something else?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help and advice. I will look for a clam with more shell growth next time. I'm feeling bummed that my first experience with a clam was such a failure. I tried to read up on clams with the info you guys posted before I bought this one.

Make sure you check for and treat your clam for diseases. Two condition that can easily kill your clam but can be easily treat are Pyramid Parasites and PMD. Clams are really easy animals to keep if you check for a few things and keep your water clean, high Ca and Alkalinity.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The white growth in above photo happened since I purchased it. PEA sells nice clams, it’s online.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what an "unhappy" derasa looks like. That's sarcasm. And typically, yes, the derasa is considered one of the easier clams to care for. I got mine in February, and you can see the small scutes a little lower on the shell that indicate the approximate size of it when I got it. Mine has grown about an inch and a half of shell since February. They grow fast and are absolute calcium hogs. Sorry about the coralline. I need to clean my glass.
IMG_6767[1].JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back