Is this lymph? White growth

  • Thread starter Thread starter 125mph
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

125mph

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2016
Messages
867
Reaction score
303
Location
San Diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swallowtail has been in QT for about 2 weeks. Just started copper a few days ago. Before starting copper he had a small white cauliflower type growth on his tail. I thought it was probably lymph or some type of noddle. Started copper a few days ago and i havent paid much attention to inspevting the fish.

Today I noticed he has more white marks on the tail (3-4 in total).. They are big cauliflower like grows. No other fish in the qt tank have it

Ideas?

IMG_5275.jpeg


 
Yes Lympho. Not much that can be done. It’s a virus that has no real remedy. The fish will be just fine. And you will find it ends up leaving on its own. Anecdotal to maybe me, I feed my angels Easy Reef DKi 1.3 with beta glucan in it. And it seems to help their immune systems to suppress it when it shows up. . Make sure you’re doing WC on a regular in a QT tank. The hard part is keeping water clean. Not talkin about ammonia, but rather the build up of particles in the air, food, and feces. That yellow tint to the water tells you your tank is dirty. So keep an eye out for such things. If feed more that normal to get a fish fat (being it might be in the skinny side), I will do more frequent WC’s.
 
"Calliflower" is the common descriptor for Lymph. The stress of copper &/or distress of a QT tank are probably not helpful for the fishes immune system. If there are no other symptoms of a treatable disease the fish might fair better with just observation? Stay watchful! GL
 
Swallowtail has been in QT for about 2 weeks. Just started copper a few days ago. Before starting copper he had a small white cauliflower type growth on his tail. I thought it was probably lymph or some type of noddle. Started copper a few days ago and i havent paid much attention to inspevting the fish.

Today I noticed he has more white marks on the tail (3-4 in total).. They are big cauliflower like grows. No other fish in the qt tank have it

Ideas?

IMG_5275.jpeg




As the others said, this is Lymphocystis. Here is an article I posted about it:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/lymphocystis-cauliflower-disease.1121/

You'll want to give the angel a full 30 days of copper, as well as praziquantel to guard against flukes. Typically, it isn't advantageous to hold a fish in a QT without starting the treatments, as that just adds to the length of time the fish spends in QT, and can allow diseases to gain a stronger foothold.
 
Gotcha! Thanks!
As the others said, this is Lymphocystis. Here is an article I posted about it:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/lymphocystis-cauliflower-disease.1121/

You'll want to give the angel a full 30 days of copper, as well as praziquantel to guard against flukes. Typically, it isn't advantageous to hold a fish in a QT without starting the treatments, as that just adds to the length of time the fish spends in QT, and can allow diseases to gain a stronger foothold.

Thanks!

I had 2 batches of fish come and QTing them in a 55long tank. They arrived 6 days apart so I waited all to arrive before starting. Ran prazi first and now running copper.

Actually the angel was from the 2nd batch so he’s been in QT for about 9 days (2x prazi rounds first).

If after copper is finished and they all look good/clean but he still has lymph, can he go into DT?
 
Gotcha! Thanks!


Thanks!

I had 2 batches of fish come and QTing them in a 55long tank. They arrived 6 days apart so I waited all to arrive before starting. Ran prazi first and now running copper.

Actually the angel was from the 2nd batch so he’s been in QT for about 9 days (2x prazi rounds first).

If after copper is finished and they all look good/clean but he still has lymph, can he go into DT?

Yes, it’s not contagious.
 
Gotcha! Thanks!


Thanks!

I had 2 batches of fish come and QTing them in a 55long tank. They arrived 6 days apart so I waited all to arrive before starting. Ran prazi first and now running copper.

Actually the angel was from the 2nd batch so he’s been in QT for about 9 days (2x prazi rounds first).

If after copper is finished and they all look good/clean but he still has lymph, can he go into DT?

Lymphocystis is contagious under certain circumstances, but those are a bit unclear; newly captured fish seem to be "naive" to the virus and can catch it from other infected fish. Older captive fish never (rarely?) seem to develop infections. Many authors will state that that physically trying to remove the growths will spread more viral particles, making infection in other fish more common, but I don't know how true that is. One thing that I know is true is that lesions on a fin that brushes against a fish's body, will often start new lesions on the body where the fin touches - so even transfer within a single fish can happen.
 
Lymphocystis is contagious under certain circumstances, but those are a bit unclear; newly captured fish seem to be "naive" to the virus and can catch it from other infected fish. Older captive fish never (rarely?) seem to develop infections. Many authors will state that that physically trying to remove the growths will spread more viral particles, making infection in other fish more common, but I don't know how true that is. One thing that I know is true is that lesions on a fin that brushes against a fish's body, will often start new lesions on the body where the fin touches - so even transfer within a single fish can happen.

I wonder if it’s the immune system and the stress of a new tank that makes new fish susceptible?
 
I wonder if it’s the immune system and the stress of a new tank that makes new fish susceptible?

I can't say with certainty, but longer term captives, undergoing some stress event (disease, poor water, etc.), still don't seem to develop Lymphocystis, even after exposure to infected fish in the same tank.

I'm trying hard to remember EVER seeing a long term captive (6+ months or so) develop Lymphocystis. One thing that I have noticed is that Lymphocystis used to be a lot more common in new fish than it seems now days - 40 years ago, it seemed that most Royal Grammas would get this, but I haven't seen much of that recently.

There could also be more than one virus involved here - walleye get a similar viral lesion, but it looks different - round reddish nodules on the body.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new