Is this nem a black widow?

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw these for sale and was wondering if they're real black widows?

00y0y_lk4XmmDMnZq_1200x900.jpg

OP
OP
N

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like your regular RBTA to me
They also have those for sale also so maybe they just had pics for those up. The price for BWs seemed too good. I'll ask for pics of just those to see if they are different. What should I be looking for? White webbing marks near the mouth?

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a Black Widow to me. The webbing is pretty visible in your photo. I have seen where the webbing becomes less noticeable in older/larger anemones. Sometimes it disappears completely. This makes them not as impressive looking, when compared to younger/smaller anemones.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Webbing does not make it a black widdow. Here is a picture of a orange dominated rainbow bta, and a red dominated bta in my tank (at the top).

Attachments

• tank21220.MOV
    10.7 MB
OP
OP
N

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Webbing does not make it a black widdow. Here is a picture of a orange dominated rainbow bta, and a red dominated bta in my tank (at the top).
Beautiful tank. So what are your thoughts on the pics I posted? Look like BWs to you?

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. It does not look like a widdow to me as I see a tinge of green. Just enjoy it. Lights play a huge role. A local reef store has a plain rbta only under 3 blue t5 bulbs and is prettier then any black widdow.

Last edited:

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell looks like rose from green, but looks like black widow aswell from different angles. at this point call it what you want its yours haha

OP
OP
N

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell looks like rose from green, but looks like black widow aswell from different angles. at this point call it what you want its yours haha
I haven't bought them yet. I came here for advice first. LOL

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 2 separate varieties in this photo...Black Widow on the right...Rainbow on the left. I'v e never seen green in a widow like the ones on the left have.

IMG-0064 (3).jpg

OP
OP
N

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 2 separate varieties in this photo...Black Widow on the right...Rainbow on the left. I'v e never seen green in a widow like the ones on the left have.

IMG-0064 (3).jpg
Yeah he's selling rainbows and BWs. So I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the same tank.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi there, not sure if you have gotten your question answered yet about the black widows. There are a few things I learned about these guys after housing them for three years. They are different than other BTA in that they can be very destructive to other corals in your tank. In the right environment, they propagate and their footprint can grow to be quite large. They move around to find their optimum water flow. You can regulate your wave maker to get them to stay (sort of) in the same spot but, that is challenging. Their tentacles can get very long and they sting other corals and I have had to be careful where I put new livestock. Basically, my one Black Widow turned into three and they overtook the entire top of my tank. They were loving life. One of them adhered his foot onto the outflow pipe somewhat blocking water flow and also having the water pass by him and potentially making the entire tank toxic if he was ticked off. Late in the day when the light is just right and the water flow is fairly even and calm, they stretch out and are so incredibly beautiful. I absolutely love looking at them in spite of their tendencies toward stinging everything around them. My two clown fish love them too. They roll around and get massaged by their tentacles for hours. Sometimes Thing I does a nosedive into his anemone and just sits there languishing in the pure decadence of a hundred tentacles writhing around him. Very cool to watch. The first two photos are current and the last one is from two years ago when he was brand new. I think I paid about $80 bucks for him. Notice the orange nose on my clownfish (Thing I)? Both Thing I & Thing II’s noses turned from orange to black over the years.
A79F41A6-C5A9-4151-9FD7-0720B2A6A339.jpeg
49DDBEC0-8BB4-4F49-B338-9724C0C9656E.jpeg

Hi there, not sure if you have gotten your question answered yet about the black widows. There are a few things I learned about these guys after housing them for three years. They are different than other BTA in that they can be very destructive to other corals in your tank. In the right environment, they propagate and their footprint can grow to be quite large. They move around to find their optimum water flow. You can regulate your wave maker to get them to stay (sort of) in the same spot but, that is challenging. Their tentacles can get very long and they sting other corals and I have had to be careful where I put new livestock. Basically, my one Black Widow turned into three and they overtook the entire top of my tank. They were loving life. One of them adhered his foot onto the outflow pipe somewhat blocking water flow and also having the water pass by him and potentially making the entire tank toxic if he was off. Late in the day when the light is just right and the water glow is fairly even bit calm, they stretch out and are so incredibly beautiful. I absolutely love looking at them in spite of their tendencies toward stinging everything around them. My two clown fish love them too. They roll around and get massaged by their tentacles for hours. Sometimes Thing I does a nosedive into his anemone and just sits there languishing in the pure decadence of a hundred tentacles writhing around him. Very cool to watch.
A79F41A6-C5A9-4151-9FD7-0720B2A6A339.jpeg
49DDBEC0-8BB4-4F49-B338-9724C0C9656E.jpeg
50FADF96-49C4-4170-A10F-A9D4BDAABDC7.jpeg

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres another pic.

604264445.jpg
Sorry, I was interrupted writing my post and I think I posted it twice, sort of. It is hard to tell if they are truly black widows, but I think they are because of the long tentacles. The interior of them when they open up is important to see. That’s why I ended up posting twice. I was looking for a better photo of the middle of the anemones. It is blueish with bubbles. I guess people call it ‘webbing’. In any event, they are very exciting in your tank. Be ready for them to propagate which is an experience in and of itself. To watch an animal like that not only move, but split apart (usually in the dark) and recreate itself is one of the great wonders of nature.

OP
OP
N

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was interrupted writing my post and I think I posted it twice, sort of. It is hard to tell if they are truly black widows, but I think they are because of the long tentacles. The interior of them when they open up is important to see. That’s why I ended up posting twice. I was looking for a better photo of the middle of the anemones. It is blueish with bubbles. I guess people call it ‘webbing’. In any event, they are very exciting in your tank. Be ready for them to propagate which is an experience in and of itself. To watch an animal like that not only move, but split apart (usually in the dark) and recreate itself is one of the great wonders of nature.
Thanks for the response. Yours look beautiful. I never ended up buying them because it was a 3hr drive each way. If I ever find any local I'm definitely going to purchase them. I absolutely love the way they look.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back