Is this new polyps coming in?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love goniopora!
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2024
Messages
7,699
Reaction score
38,388
Location
East Coast
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently picked up this purple stylophora, with a big spot in the front from it being fragged.

I only picked it up a week ago, and started to notice stuff growing in the center of the calcium bone (not to sure what to call it)

Here it is a week ago:

20240308_221754.jpg


And here it is now:

20240316_114811.jpg
 
new growth wont happen out of a cut skeleton like that. it will heal from the outside in covering the circle with new polyps from the edges first. then once its fully healed it could start a new branch from the tip, but the center discoloration is not new growth, most likely a little algae. but the edges do look to be healing a little bit, and polyp extension is still good so it seems healthy. give it time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new