Is this normal for Elegance coral? Or is it new additions to my tank?

flakychips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys relatively new to reefing and our tank is now five months old, so we thought it would be a good time to introduce the Elegance coral into the tank. It has been two weeks and all parameters were normal. However, since we noticed sand clumping, we introduced five conch snails. Now, it seems that the Elegance is shrivelled up and has lost colour, but not sure if it is sick or just sleeping? Appreciate if you can check out the videos and share any advice! Thank you.

Attachments

• Elegance Day 14 in Tank_Night-time.mp4
    2 MB
  • Elegance Day 14 in Tank_Day time.mp4
    6.2 MB
  • Elegance_Day 2 in Tank.mp4
    2.4 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the movies, but based solely on your text I would consider a full tank treatment with Cipro @ 0.125mg/liter
(Search brown jelly disease on here for more info). Elegance are known for dying from sickness that can be averted with Cipro.
Post a still shot?

OP
OP
flakychips

flakychips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the movies, but based solely on your text I would consider a full tank treatment with Cipro @ 0.125mg/liter
(Search brown jelly disease on here for more info). Elegance are known for dying from sickness that can be averted with Cipro.
Post a still shot?
Thank you!

I think I "attached" instead of inserting videos. Oops. Below are the videos now.

Last night saw this for the first time. Is the hermit crab "attacking" it?

On the same day, it was fine in the day time

This is how it looked when we first got it 2 weeks ago! Seems to be thriving!

OP
OP
flakychips

flakychips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight! Strange thing it is now looking better. I wonder if it was maybe eating a snail or when it was all shrivelled up? Just found out Elegance love to eat them...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight! Strange thing it is now looking better. I wonder if it was maybe eating a snail or when it was all shrivelled up? Just found out Elegance love to eat them...

Elegance Coral send off a scent to attract snails of all types...pretty soon you will have a snail shell graveyard and a lot of your CUC will be gone. I've always wanted one, but after much research...that's a No for me DOG! I need my CUC.

They are a beautiful Coral though!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance Coral send off a scent to attract snails of all types...pretty soon you will have a snail shell graveyard and a lot of your CUC will be gone. I've always wanted one, but after much research...that's a No for me DOG! I need my CUC.

Interesting!!

OP
OP
flakychips

flakychips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for sharing, maybe if i give it more direct feed it will stay away from my CUC?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing, maybe if i give it more direct feed it will stay away from my CUC?
You need to construct a snail-proof wall, “We need a great big beautiful wall” to keep the elegance from eating your cuc for lunch.
Glad it is looking better, get some Cipro for all your lps and pray you don’t have to use it, but it has saved a lot of sick coral from bacteria.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back