Is this normal for plumbing? Some questions with pics!

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
95
Reaction score
141
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

Just purchased a used 45G CADlights aquarium. Upon putting everything back together I noticed a few things... this tank has metric bulkheads.. Fun stuff. Also is it okay that the bulkheads are plumbed with the threads on the bottom? See the picture. I always thought you were supposed to have the threads coming from the top down. Also it came with two gaskets for each bulkhead?? Is this how it's supposed to be? I got to the guys house while he was in the middle of taking it down and didn't notice these things until later. So now I'm trying to figure out and the guy I purchased them from does not remember how it went.

Thanks for the help.

-Matthew

IMG_5206.jpg IMG_5201.jpg IMG_5199.jpg
 
I always replace bulkheads with new ones when I set up a used tank. And double gaskets sound like bad news imo
 
Usually the threads go on the outside of the tank/drain because water can run up the threads and cause a slow drip. That's probably why there are two gaskets, one for inside and one outside.

I personally wouldn't have done it that way, but it clearly was set up that way before. I would try it and see if it leaks, with tap water, before I changed it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new