Is this normal?

Oyster_-

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2024
Messages
120
Reaction score
36
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Vermont
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my return pump broke around 5 days ago, and while I was waiting for the new one to come in, I placed a small power head into the aquariums long with the heater. That little pump was quite strong and it moved some sand around. I got the new pump 3 days ago and it’s been good but I have not seen my hi fin goby that I introduced to the tank 2 weekends ago. I’m worried because I see the shrimp often and the goby used to always be out there guarding its burrow. Is this normal or is it likely that it has died?
 
Hard to say....just have to keep an eye out for him. I agree with your concern though.
 
Hard to say....just have to keep an eye out for him. I agree with your concern though.
Yeah I’m starting to think it passed away honestly. Do you think it could have been the change in flow that caused it to die by stressing it out a ton?
 
The fish contend with 10x more flow in the ocean than the strongest flow any of us provide.

The only time it appears that way is when the fish weaken and are close to death already....they begin getting sucked into the flow sources in the tank. In the ocean there's also no flow source to get sucked into. ;)

Healthy fish have no trouble dealing with good tank flow.
 
Honestly, I don't think it would have been the change in flow. How long did you have the goby?

Did you notice any changes in him before and after the return pump broke? (I know you mentioned it hid, but anything else?)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new