Is this normal

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this might be a stupid question but i have to ask iam doing my 30 day cycle with sand and live rock only.I have notice there is alot of greenish or brown looking alge growing on the rock and sandsome look black sometimes.is this normal on the cycle or not?i have done a water change if that matters.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's normal. Sounds like your tank has cycled, and cyano, diatom, and other algae are showing up. What are your water parameters like such as NH3/4, NO2, and NO3 levels?

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's normal. Sounds like your tank has cycled, and cyano, diatom, and other algae are showing up. What are your water parameters like such as NH3/4, NO2, and NO3 levels?
Iam hoping this is what you are asking calcium 320ppm,carbonate hardness 12dkh 214.8 ppm kh,phosphate 0.05ppm,nitrate 10 ppm

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 10 ppm nitrate, your tank is probably cycled. If your ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrate is 10 ppm, then your tank is cycled. I agree with others about adding a few snails. Your calcium level is a bit low and your carbonate hardness is a bit on the high side. If you do a water change, the levels may balance out.

Take a look at this article for the levels that you need to shoot for: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The old issues of Reefkeeping on-line magazine are very informative and fun to read:
2002 Monthly Index - Reefkeeping Magazine
2003 Monthly Index - Reefkeeping Magazine
There are more issues to check out all the way up to 2009.

The format changed from magazine to blog later on. The magazine seems to be running Tank of the month only nowadays.

Dr. Randy Holmes Farley has some articles written for beginners about reef chemistry (in case you need some chemistry related info). His articles can get rather technical, but the summary sections are well worthwhile to read:
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 3: pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 10 ppm nitrate, your tank is probably cycled. If your ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrate is 10 ppm, then your tank is cycled. I agree with others about adding a few snails. Your calcium level is a bit low and your carbonate hardness is a bit on the high side. If you do a water change, the levels may balance out.

Take a look at this article for the levels that you need to shoot for: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The old issues of Reefkeeping on-line magazine are very informative and fun to read:
2002 Monthly Index - Reefkeeping Magazine
2003 Monthly Index - Reefkeeping Magazine
There are more issues to check out all the way up to 2009.

The format changed from magazine to blog later on. The magazine seems to be running Tank of the month only nowadays.

Dr. Randy Holmes Farley has some articles written for beginners about reef chemistry (in case you need some chemistry related info). His articles can get rather technical, but the summary sections are well worthwhile to read:
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 3: pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The How To Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Great list of information!!! My only advice outside of this is your clean up crew. Make sure you do a little research on hermits. They can become terrors and eat you snails and each other for shells. I eventually had to rid my tank of them because they we really just to mean.

Look for:
Nassarius snails fo the sandbed
Ceriths for the glass and rocks
Turbos for glass and rocks too

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank everyone for advice on what i have in my tank growning and all them links are great to read been reading all of them.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i cant wait to start cycling my new tank, lol its a pain but worth it in the end. to see your tank go from that ugly brown to beautuful ocean lol

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you do a little research on hermits. They can become terrors and eat you snails and each other for shells. I eventually had to rid my tank of them because they we really just to mean.

Awe, don't bad mouth the hermits! :confuse:

Stay with the blue legs, they so interesting to watch. They will snag a snail here and there but snails are cheap, disposable, and readily available!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back