Is this normal?

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal? My tank is about 3 months, over the last week or 2 I noticed some spots in the sand and it has quickly spread onto my live rock and the glass.

image.jpg image.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is sadly normal for new tanks, and old when they get out of balance. New tanks go through stages of "ulgies" and eventually it will be an old tank, possibly with balance that allows the uglies to almost disappear. Give it time, keep up the maintenance and good luck on the way! :cool:

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is sadly normal for new tanks, and old when they get out of balance. New tanks go through stages of "ulgies" and eventually it will be an old tank, possibly with balance that allows the uglies to almost disappear. Give it time, keep up the maintenance and good luck on the way! :cool:
Ok thanks! Should I be doing anything to treat it? It doesn’t seem abnormal but it’s just spreading quick.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! Should I be doing anything to treat it? It doesn’t seem abnormal but it’s just spreading quick.
Some people lower light inputs, change spectrums (more blue, less red if you have leds) and ov course they get out the gravel vac and remove it and add new water but often it comes back the next day.

Maybe add some pods to the tank. Some folks have had luck with them consuming the mess and your fish will enjoy the pods for lunch.

But, outside of unsightly, it is nothing to worry about unless it bothers you and I can't fix either of those issues for you. Sorry. :cool:

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people lower light inputs, change spectrums (more blue, less red if you have leds) and ov course they get out the gravel vac and remove it and add new water but often it comes back the next day.

Maybe add some pods to the tank. Some folks have had luck with them consuming the mess and your fish will enjoy the pods for lunch.

But, outside of unsightly, it is nothing to worry about unless it bothers you and I can't fix either of those issues for you. Sorry. :cool:
Ok thank you!

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the process of starting a tank, all normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Have you started to put together a strong solid CUC???? Might be time to introduce a beginner CUC.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back