Is this normal??

DexterPhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been doing a lot of research and I feel like consensus is to have stable numbers over specific numbers..... I’m just having a hard time dialing in my dosing pumps for stable alkalinity... I think I’m getting close to a decent stable number the amounts and ratio seem weird... Is something wrong??
30 gallon tank
I’m adding 54 mo of Red Sea alk liquid per day and 15 ml of Red Sea cal...
I’m running alk at 7.9 and cal 420. When I just measured..... Doesn’t that seem like a lot of alk especially considering the tank size and calcium dose????

OP
OP
DexterPhi

DexterPhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well according to the math Red Sea gives close to 5dkh ... it’s only about an 8 month old tank.. and I had been dosing closer to 2dkh today and got a little lazy on checking it and when I did I measured in the 4’s....

I religiously do weekly 15% water changes which I think is what kept the tank out of trouble.....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once precipitation gets going (if it has) on sand and rock surfaces, it can be hard to stop it. You need to let alk drop and allow time for organics and magnesium to pacify the fresh calcium carbonate surfaces.
If you are confident you are dosing 5 dKH per day, I’d stop dosing entirely and track all for several days. Then slowly restart.

OP
OP
DexterPhi

DexterPhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I will try that. Thanks so much for the help! How low show I let alkalinity get before I get worried?

OP
OP
DexterPhi

DexterPhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned off The dosing pumps. after 27 hours it dropped from 8.6 dkh to 6.6 dkh... should i continue to let it fall?

OP
OP
DexterPhi

DexterPhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I just checked it again... it is right at 6 tonight.. 51 hours after the first test of 8.6... ph is at 8.3...... Dose or wait one more day?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back