Is this pinched mantle disease?

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB9D41A5-BAD1-465E-9D0A-AC05660D1EDA.jpeg

So I recently bought an Aqua cultured Tahiti Maxima clam two weeks ago, it starts exhibiting a pinched mantle 2-3 days agos.

I know what I need to do, but does any know how could a seemingly healthy clam catch such a disease out of the blue? I never another clam before this.

I also do not have another set up to transfer my clam to? What is the best I could do? Will my DT ever be clam safe again?
Is clam flukes like fish fluke where it will starve and die out without a clam?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DB9D41A5-BAD1-465E-9D0A-AC05660D1EDA.jpeg

So I recently bought an Aqua cultured Tahiti Maxima clam two weeks ago, it starts exhibiting a pinched mantle 2-3 days agos.

I know what I need to do, but does any know how could a seemingly healthy clam catch such a disease out of the blue? I never another clam before this.

I also do not have another set up to transfer my clam to? What is the best I could do? Will my DT ever be clam safe again?
Is clam flukes like fish fluke where it will starve and die out without a clam?
I see retraction of flesh which is not a good sign: assure the following is not elevated:
Nitrate
Salinity
Temperature
Phosphate
Calcium

OP
OP
Breadbox

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see retraction of flesh which is not a good sign: assure the following is not elevated:
Nitrate
Salinity
Temperature
Phosphate
Calcium
I'll try to lower nitrate and phosphate, it is about 25ppm and 0.1. The clam also just fallen off the rock for the third time onto the sand(mantle up every-time), I don't believe the hermit crabs knocked it off.

Is it normal for Maxima clam to not like the highlight and rocks and prefer it on the sand?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'll try to lower nitrate and phosphate, it is about 25ppm and 0.1. The clam also just fallen off the rock for the third time onto the sand(mantle up every-time), I don't believe the hermit crabs knocked it off.

Is it normal for Maxima clam to not like the highlight and rocks and prefer it on the sand?
Clams have a mind of their own

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress can be a huge factor in the death of a clam. Falling off the rocks is a prime example. If he's moving, he's not happy where he is. Could be flow, lighting , any number of things. They also need time to adjust to your lighting. Clams also filter nitrates from the water. Not sure if any of this info will be helpful, but hope he recovers.
bsa

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back