Is this pump to big for my tank?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just won a sicce 4.o pump at my clubs Christmas meeting. I have an IM Nuvo 30L (36x13x11).

The stock pump works just fine, but it looses some of its 476 gph with the spin stream nozzle on.

The sicce 4.0 is adjustable from 608gph to 951gph.

If I turn it all the way down to the 608 gph, does anyone think I will be blowing stuff around the tank?

I think it will be OK as the spin streams use some of that flow to spin, but I would appreciate some better experience than what I think I know.

Thanks in advance.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it is quite powerful. I used it as my main pump from my sump on a 100 gallon for over 3 years with a ball valve to reduce the flow. It pumps more than a 1" drain can keep up with without suction. Had not had a problem with it other than I replaced it with a DC pump to reduce sound. It isn't the loudest pump, but it isn't silent either.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it is quite powerful. I used it as my main pump from my sump on a 100 gallon for over 3 years with a ball valve to reduce the flow. It pumps more than a 1" drain can keep up with without suction. Had not had a problem with it other than I replaced it with a DC pump to reduce sound. It isn't the loudest pump, but it isn't silent either.
Thanks mailreef. glad to hear good things about it. With my spinstreams and 2 small powerheads, I like the flow I have in my tank. It would be nice to remove one of the heads and get more out of the spin streams as space is limited in an AIO this size.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely....there's no way your current display can support the flow from this pump. Not properly.

;)

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely....there's no way your current display can support the flow from this pump. Not properly.

;)
even with it turned down to the 608gph vs the 476gph from my stock pump?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 30 gallon tank, you only need 60-120 GPH....150GPH if you wanna "go crazy".

So yeah....even if you turn it down. ;)

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 30 gallon tank, you only need 60-120 GPH....150GPH if you wanna "go crazy".

So yeah....even if you turn it down. ;)
OK....Thanks for the input and advice. I guess I will just stare at it for a few more months till I get that bigger tank!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back