Is this really cyanos?! Immense fluffy red algae everywhere (red cotton?)

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, getting desparate slowly.
Til now was always assuming this is cyano, tried so many things now, nothing worked so far.
Questioning now if this is really cyanos... Nearly everywhere i see cyanos on the internet, it is more or less a flat "form", like a carpet on rocks/sand.

I did not siphon now my tank for like 2 weeks, got them everywhere and for me it just looks different than regular cyanos. My algae is so extreme fluffy, actually never in a flat form. Was reading about red cotton algae, but dont know.

I ve also the impression the algae on the sand is red stuff from the rocks whichs gets floated to the ground and then turns into whatever on the sand.

IMG_20240107_212630.jpg IMG_20240107_212638.jpg IMG_20240107_212703.jpg IMG_20240107_212708.jpg

OP
OP
C

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least, most probably it is not cyanos.. I ll go with cotton candy and try some things what i can find about it on the internet

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a limited amount of experience with what I believe to be this algae. It was on a couple of rocks and covered the powerheads and silicone tank edges, and it was extremely hard to pull off. I bought a tuxedo urchin and the algae disappeared within a month; never saw it again. That said, you have quite a lot more than I did, so maybe try manually trimming the tufts down to help it out if you decide to go that route.

Best of luck! :)

OP
OP
C

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the way I wanna try. Manually trim down every 2 days, siphon **** out, get a tuxedo urchin/ mexican turbo snails, decrease nitrat/phosphat (was reading they love it).

Owner of my local fish shop said, he wont do an ID of it just by photos, i have to bring him a sample of it to check under microscope to check if it is really not cyano or dino..

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, not cyano.

It looks like Cotton Candy algae to me.

OP
OP
C

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the guy from my fish shop said, "no cyanos, red algae".
Before I had let them grow I had regular nitrat/phosphat levels. After 2/3 weeks of letting them grow, I have 0 nitrat/phosphate.
Which probably is an indicator to cut off any nitrat and phophat levels after I remove the algae by hand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back