Is this Rommel's Rainbow Acropora?

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acquired a new colony of what was said to be Rommel's Rainbow Acropora. After looking through the internet for examples of what this coral should look like I found three different pictures! Does anyone have a verified true piece of this coral they can share a picture of?

It's no the best photo but I will get a better one tonight with my DSLR. Does the structure look correct? It's not apparent in these pictures but its red with green orange, and blue hues to the body and has blue tips with red polyps. it's a bit stressed out due to the move and dipping. Hopefully it colors up a bit better.

OP
OP
general0

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know sorry, this was take with two Boost PAR30 bulbs I'll try to get a different light over it tonight when I get home and take a better picture with my good camera and not a phone, lol.

OP
OP
general0

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FF337, I think it's the Rommel rainbow acro I'm looking for not the milli. The acro has a pink/red body from the description of it elsewhere. Nice colony either way.

FF337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Millipora is an acropora. And that looks like a stag to me. The rommels rainbow, rommels sunset milli and the rommels watermelon all have similar growth patterns. I have all three. They are still small frags in my tank.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might of misunderstood him.(the guy you got it from)

It very well could be Pro Corals Rainbow. It is mostly a deep red with even deeper red polyps with hints of Orange/Gold in it. And it definitely grows like a stag.

OP
OP
general0

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Millipora is an acropora. And that looks like a stag to me. The rommels rainbow, rommels sunset milli and the rommels watermelon all have similar growth patterns. I have all three. They are still small frags in my tank.

After I typed that I didn't think it sounded right... Yes I know Milli's are acros what I should have said was the polyps aren't like Milli's. I think Your absolutely right this is not a Rommel's Rainbow.. I think Dowtish is pretty close on this possibly being the PC Rainbow acro though. It's a little stressed from the move and being cut and dipped but when I first got it this is what it looked like in his tank.

It has the red with hints of orange in the body, deep red polyps and blue tips:

This image is from Jason Fox's website for the ProCorals Rainbow:
acr-58-2.jpg

Thanks everyone. I have been trying to get a frag of the Rommel's Rainbow for a while and it's been pretty elusive to say the least for me!

OP
OP
general0

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I'm not and wouldn't try to make up a name for it, it's the exact opposite so don't worry. I was told it was a Rommel's Rainbow Acro when I bought it and I wanted to confirm this in case if I ever sold a frag of it I wasn't misleading another reefer. I talked to the seller today and he told me the LFS where he bought it from and and that they have a display tank with the mother colony there so I will stop by tonight and talk to the owner who is knowledgeable of what this actually is.

Either way it's a nice piece to me and I bought it and a giant green slimmer colony for 200.00 bucks! Here's the other piece I bought from the same person (I can't seem to take a good picture with my phone and leds) there are no dead branches as this photo may appear:

I'll be happier with it once it's out of QT and in my display tank! If it doesn't have a "show name" that's fine by me. Just knowing the Scientific name is good enough for me. I'm trying to learn these too so thanks for the info!

Thanks everyone

Frick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I'm not and wouldn't try to make up a name for it, it's the exact opposite so don't worry. I was told it was a Rommel's Rainbow Acro when I bought it and I wanted to confirm this in case if I ever sold a frag of it I wasn't misleading another reefer. I talked to the seller today and he told me the LFS where he bought it from and and that they have a display tank with the mother colony there so I will stop by tonight and talk to the owner who is knowledgeable of what this actually is.

Either way it's a nice piece to me and I bought it and a giant green slimmer colony for 200.00 bucks! Here's the other piece I bought from the same person (I can't seem to take a good picture with my phone and leds) there are no dead branches as this photo may appear:

I'll be happier with it once it's out of QT and in my display tank! If it doesn't have a "show name" that's fine by me. Just knowing the Scientific name is good enough for me. I'm trying to learn these too so thanks for the info!

Thanks everyone

Okay let us know what he/she says.

That's a beauty of A. yongei "Slimer" too by the way. Nice score.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back