Is this some type of scallop or clam?

Mini Pearl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First...we know there is algae.
Second....thank you everyone for your help!
So...my husband and I bought this rock at LFS with the pretty Zoas several weeks ago. Was manually removing some of that darn algae this weekend when I felt the rock "move" in my hand for lack of better description. So today we notice that "rock" shifted and appears to be a clam of some kind??? Sorry if Pic not clear. Thanks again.

20211011_160514.jpg

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it labeled? Did you buy it as just some zoas? When you asked for it, what did you ask for? “That rock”? I’m dying to know how this happened. How much did it cost?

OP
OP
M

Mini Pearl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it labeled? Did you buy it as just some zoas? When you asked for it, what did you ask for? “That rock”? I’m dying to know how this happened. How much did it cost?
I think my husband paid $40 for the "rock" with the Zoas on it...pretty sure they had no idea what the Zoas were growing on

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids are smaller than most plankton I dose. You might be correct about the Calanus, though.
Google searches have lead me to…
Reef Roids particle size: 150-200 microns
General bivalve food particle size: 2-20 microns
OceanMagik Live (Phytoplankton blend) particle size: 1-32 microns

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like an oyster. I have some in a brackish tank but their shells are smooth. To the best of my knowledge most oysters feed on phyto and most don't need it to be live. I target feed mine Seachem's Reef Phyto which is dead. That must've been one heck of a a surprise when "that rock" moved. Haha. Pretty cool find. :)

OP
OP
M

Mini Pearl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not very good with keeping active on these forums. I always start out with intent to be active. I have recently been back into the community. That aside..thanks again to everyone who tried to answer about our rock! I looked back at this thread and had a great laugh!
We still have the rock! But unfortunately none of those zoas.
The rock has just recently moved to the sump of our newer tank. We're hoping it continues to thrive. It has spawned for lack of a better term and we have several little miniature rocks now too! This has so far been the best unintentionally acquired critter so far in our reefing journey.
Again, thank you reef2reef community.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
First...we know there is algae.
Second....thank you everyone for your help!
So...my husband and I bought this rock at LFS with the pretty Zoas several weeks ago. Was manually removing some of that darn algae this weekend when I felt the rock "move" in my hand for lack of better description. So today we notice that "rock" shifted and appears to be a clam of some kind??? Sorry if Pic not clear. Thanks again.

20211011_160514.jpg
This is known as a bi-valve and often referred to as a clam but is actually a member of the scallop grouping and is a reef safe filter feeder that does not live for extended period of time.

OP
OP
M

Mini Pearl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is known as a bi-valve and often referred to as a clam but is actually a member of the scallop grouping and is a reef safe filter feeder that does not live for extended period of time.
What's extended period of time? Lol. Don't know how old it was when we acquired it and we've had it now close to 2 years. Hoping it doesn't die too soon as it's been moved to sump of newer tank as we broke down it's old home. This could ne bad....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What's extended period of time? Lol. Don't know how old it was when we acquired it and we've had it now close to 2 years. Hoping it doesn't die too soon as it's been moved to sump of newer tank as we broke down it's old home. This could ne bad....
1 year average. Mine also 2 years but dont see it open much as it used to be

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back