Is this the ugly phase, or....? ID questions an N/P questions.

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been overwhelmed reading different theories, including a lack of biodiversity in our tanks and nutrients (I know P & N are building blocks)—I understand there are a few schools of thought with no general consensus: NSW levels, “ULN”, High nitrate/phos, etc.

I was in the hobby 10 years ago, took a break and have since gotten back into it... a few big changes happened since (LEDs, no more LR from the ocean, etc)

About my tank:
28g nanocube
-kessil 360we run at peak 40% for 6 hours.
-Tank has been established for ~5.5 months.
-I have a sicce 1.0 and rio pump currently (have another sicce 1.0 pump coming in the mail Tuesday to remove the rio pump that’s going out). This will make my flow ~20x turnover/hr.
-Tuesday I should also be switching flow nozzles to RFGs (1/2”)
-some chaeto in the tank, been debating on making one of the back chambers into a refugium.
-eshopps nano skimmer

Current livestock:
Cleaner shrimp
Neon goby
~6-8 snails
RBTA
~10 corals

Parameters (have been quite stable for approximately the last 2-3 months)
-SG 1.025
-Temp:76-78F
-Calcium: 390 ppm
-Alk:7.9 dkh
-Phosphate 0.32 ppm (HI-774)
-Nitrate: 0 ppm (salifert) -tank is “nitrate limited”based on readings

Random info that can be helpful to know:
-I have a clownfish and a tail spot blenny going through the quarantine process and they will be added (assuming things continue to do well) February 1st. At this time, I assume I will have a nitrate increase as things adjust.

-I have been managing some bryopsis, brown bubble algae?, etc via manual removal.

-corals have still been growing and acting healthy, I haven’t noticed any browning, etc.

Pics attached.

Questions I need help with:

-Is this a delayed “ugly phase” that I should wait out? (Been about 2 weeks now with the sand and nothing a whole lot prior)
-Would it be beneficial to add microbacter7 to create some diversity from what potentially is in my tank?
-Is this in the sand diatoms, cyano, or dinos?
-will the increased flow help with this problem?
-should I reduce phosphates or increase nitrates?
-if I should increase nitrates, should I wait it out for the fish or use neonitrate?

Thanks for all the help!

9C6BEA53-00A3-473E-9F29-44D787196654.jpeg 03361236-890F-4050-B128-A98901046DDD.jpeg

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Like you, I came back to the hobby a year ago after an 8-year hiatus. To answer some of your questions:

-Is this a delayed “ugly phase” that I should wait out? (Been about 2 weeks now with the sand and nothing a whole lot prior)

Yes, I think 5 months in is right around when ugly phase is.

-Would it be beneficial to add microbacter7 to create some diversity from what potentially is in my tank?

I've used it in my tank and my local LFS raves about it. I've also read good things about it online. I don't think it would hurt!

Looks like diatoms to me.

Diatoms are from silicates and normal part of the uglies phase. They will eventually go away. I would just keep doing what you're doing for now, with the exception of what I'll mention below.

Both, your phosphates are quite high and your nitrates are low. Search the 'redfield ratio' on here and you'll see that there is a good ratio to have depending on the nutrient level you are shooting for. Personally, I would stay away from having a ULNS, that could get you into more trouble vs. having higher nitrates and phosphates. Theres many different ways to export nutrients, but your future corals do need some!

-if I should increase nitrates, should I wait it out for the fish or use neonitrate?

If it were me, I would wait for fish. I would work more on reducing phosphates. Not sure if your Chaeto will help as there are no nitrates, it might not grow. Might need to look at reducing phosphates other ways like GFO etc..

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tank! Like you, I came back to the hobby a year ago after an 8-year hiatus. To answer some of your questions:

Yes, I think 5 months in is right around when ugly phase is.

I've used it in my tank and my local LFS raves about it. I've also read good things about it online. I don't think it would hurt!

Looks like diatoms to me.

Diatoms are from silicates and normal part of the uglies phase. They will eventually go away. I would just keep doing what you're doing for now, with the exception of what I'll mention below.

Both, your phosphates are quite high and your nitrates are low. Search the 'redfield ratio' on here and you'll see that there is a good ratio to have depending on the nutrient level you are shooting for. Personally, I would stay away from having a ULNS, that could get you into more trouble vs. having higher nitrates and phosphates. Theres many different ways to export nutrients, but your future corals do need some!

If it were me, I would wait for fish. I would work more on reducing phosphates. Not sure if your Chaeto will help as there are no nitrates, it might not grow. Might need to look at reducing phosphates other ways like GFO etc..

Thank you for all of your time answering these questions! It is always helpful to know I wasn’t off base with my thinking. Welcome back to the hobby!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of your time answering these questions! It is always helpful to know I wasn’t off base with my thinking. Welcome back to the hobby!
My pleasure! Just passing on the good that others have done for me on this forum. It’s been my #1 source of info since I started because everyone takes the time to respond. Happy Reefing!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back