Is this too big of overflow to fit return holes?

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i thought i had planned this out well but i totally forgot the return holes.
So the 60 gal breeder is 18 inches wide and the modular marine is 12 inches. Leaving 3 inches on each side. Maybe i can do 1/2 inch holes for return? Or should i just buy a different overflow?
IMG20231223143551.jpg

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the Modular Marine overflow that you got but you can't put the return on that same glass panel. Your glass panels are too thin. I am thinking you want to do a peninsula tank. If you were to use the overflow on the length of the tank then you could do the return on the same panel.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the Modular Marine overflow that you got but you can't put the return on that same glass panel. Your glass panels are too thin.
yea but thru the sides would look bad imo

i may just get a 8inch overflow

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use the second emergency drain in the box as your return. Turning your overflow box from a Bean Animal to a Durso
This is incorrect. A bean overflow has 3 total drains. A Herbie has 2.
And I would never encourage someone to convert a Herbie (or bean) into a single-drain overflow. Way too much to go wrong.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understood this is a three hole drain. If yes then there is no reason that a Bean couldn't be turned into a Durso which would be two drains. If it is a Durso model to begin with then I would not turn it into a ONE drain hole.

BTW there is no need for your laughing at someone.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a 3 hole drain with 2 cut holes

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t see why you couldn’t do 1/2” returns on either side of the overflow box:

IMG_8392.jpeg

It’s a 60 gallon tank so you don’t need crazy high flow or anything. Two half inch returns should be fine I imagine.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why you couldn’t do 1/2” returns on either side of the overflow box:

IMG_8392.jpeg

It’s a 60 gallon tank so you don’t need crazy high flow or anything. Two half inch returns should be fine I imagine.
But can glass withstand that many holes spaced like that?

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other options are to try and return and get a 800gph 8 inch but these are handmade so idk if returns are possible.

I could also grab a fiji 800gph for cheaper but that only has two drain pipes and im not sure if thats less practical then three

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2023-12-23-15-56-10-82_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

Anyone ever use this?
I haven't but it's a fine option. Personally I would try to keep the outlet as close to the surface as possible, without it drawing in air, to minimize siphoning when pump is not running. What was your plan to mitigate this concern with your original plan(coming through the glass). Is this for a closed loop system or sump?

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't but it's a fine option. Personally I would try to keep the outlet as close to the surface as possible, without it drawing in air, to minimize siphoning when pump is not running. What was your plan to mitigate this concern with your original plan(coming through the glass). Is this for a closed loop system or sump?
Sump style is the plan. Oversized 40b for the 60b display. I may just run them over

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a hole where you want the syphon to break

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind, when the pump is off, the water(in the display) will siphon back to the sump to the level of return outlets. Check valves are a option but they reduce flow and add a possible point of failure and maintenance. Mine are just under the surface. When the pump stops the siphon stops and water level is right at the overflow height

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back