Is this too much flow? Help please....

CompletelyClueless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this too much flow? The pump is new; previous was 250l/hr, this is an adjustable with a max. of 1000l/hr (in the videos on the lowest setting). My gut says it's too turbid but frankly I have no idea. Sorry about the hair algae, working on it slowly. Tank is 5.5g. Snails/soft corals only (very empty right now lol). BUt my zoa hasn't come out :(

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just a bit much for bottom
Aim flow upwards a little

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with the vids but as long as sand isn't blowing around the bottom it is ok. Depends on what you put in the tank, small volume like that can get by fine with minimal flow throughout the tank.

OP
OP
CompletelyClueless

CompletelyClueless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm so |I've ordered 360 degree adjustable wave maker with same flow output as this pump . Will see how that works out. I need more surface movement but less aggressive flow at the bottom than this gives, I think; the zoa is still retracted so not enjoying the comparative buffering it's getting now in contrast to what it was before. Thanks for the advice :)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like flow and a lot of it. I have found that even fish that are not great swimmers like bangai cardinals, file fish and blennies, that they are fine in strong flow. As long as your sand is not blowing around, you are OK. And if your sand does move, just put some coarse sand it to stabilize it.

If you look at reef ecosystems, the flow in them is often off the charts like well over a thousand fold turnover.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know if i would attribute all of the zoa stuff to the flow. in this instance, i dont think its helping, but the zoa issue you have could simply be from the algae and possibly in conjunction to the amount of movement that the algae has against the zoa to aggravate it. i dont think its too strong, but could go to be lowered a bit, imo

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the "high flow, happy tank" camp. My angelfish seek out the powerheads so that they can surf the currents around. I think it keeps them from becoming bored.

Softies are very adaptable. I know that many people enjoy the look of quiet atoll lagoons, but I'm more familiar with (and attracted to) reefs that have quite turbulent water flow and currents.

OP
OP
CompletelyClueless

CompletelyClueless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep the flow rate the same but change the angle - the algae is an ongoing issue I'm working on. Lots of manual removal and I've ordered some algae eating snails. Tank was a bit neglected by my parents whilst I was at uni and it got a bit ugly. High salinity because they didnt top up and high phosphates.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this too much flow? The pump is new; previous was 250l/hr, this is an adjustable with a max. of 1000l/hr (in the videos on the lowest setting). My gut says it's too turbid but frankly I have no idea. Sorry about the hair algae, working on it slowly. Tank is 5.5g. Snails/soft corals only (very empty right now lol). BUt my zoa hasn't come out :(

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I agree and flow towards the surface how old is your tank? Looks like you’re in the middle of the ugly stage

OP
OP
CompletelyClueless

CompletelyClueless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some snails coming - astrea, cerith, nerite. (not adding em all at once, do have a tiny cycled QT tub). not sure 5.5g big enough for a crab - I thought they needed a minimum of 10g?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some snails coming - astrea, cerith, nerite. (not adding em all at once, do have a tiny cycled QT tub). not sure 5.5g big enough for a crab?
I have a crab, and pistol shrimp, and two clowns, And 2 Astrea snails, And a feather duster, In a 7 gallon tank The tanks been running for almost a year I think 10 Months

Attachments

• DA935F8D-49B4-49E1-A6E4-A8DC8420C1C5.jpeg
    DA935F8D-49B4-49E1-A6E4-A8DC8420C1C5.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 27

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back