Got 2 Snowflake Clowns Today - Is Flow Too High?

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have been cycling my 26g Red Sea MAX Nano Peninsula for a while now and today was the day its first members. Picked up 2 juvenile Snowflake Clownfish from my great LFS. After temperature and drip acclimating, they sprung to life at the front of the tank instantly. Even fed them some freeze dried brine shrimp, and they ate a bit (only after an hour of adjusting to the tank) which is a good sign?

My only concern is how they dart around the tank. After putting my finger up to the circulation valve, it does feel pretty strong (but maybe it's just me worrying too much). From my understanding, clowns should be able to adapt to flow even if it is stronger than they are used to? This is my first saltwater tank as I moved on from fresh, so maybe I am just worrying myself. Could you guys take a look at the video below and give me some input based on what you see?

Thanks!

Video is giving me a hard time so here is a link: https://clipchamp.com/watch/cRQk4AP4nf9

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought my flow was too high when starting out also. Now my pumps are turned almost all the way up. As long as your fish have caves to hide in, flow shouldn't be an issue. Clowns are weird.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched video. Behavior isn't due to flow, they're posturing with each other by the looks.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought my flow was too high when starting out also. Now my pumps are turned almost all the way up. As long as your fish have caves to hide in, flow shouldn't be an issue. Clowns are weird.
Thank you! Perhaps I am just getting in my head lol - being a saltwater newbie doesn't help. I still see it as much more intimidating than freshwater :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Perhaps I am just getting in my head lol - being a saltwater newbie doesn't help. I still see it as much more intimidating than freshwater :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Everyone does in the beginning. Things to watch for on your new friends would be issues on their skin, rapid breathing, loss of appetite and nipped fins.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone does in the beginning. Things to watch for on your new friends would be issues on their skin, rapid breathing, loss of appetite and nipped fins.
Will keep an eye out for that. So far, I haven't seen either one make an advance on the other - in fact they often swim alongside one another. Now it almost looks like they are just riding the flow, is that entertaining for them? (lol)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will keep an eye out for that. So far, I haven't seen either one make an advance on the other - in fact they often swim alongside one another. Now it almost looks like they are just riding the flow, is that entertaining for them? (lol)
There will be a battle at some point. One will assert dominance over the other and become the female of the pair. This is natural progression for clowns. Any true battles will happen while you're not in the room. Fish always behave while being watched.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a battle at some point. One will assert dominance over the other and become the female of the pair. This is natural progression for clowns. Any true battles will happen while you're not in the room. Fish always behave while being watched.
Very well - I was familiar with the more dominant one becoming the female. My LFS guy says these guys have some growing up to do before then, but I'll keep an eye out!

joseph.timbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns of the same size will have to work it out but tank looks sizable enough that they’ll be fine…. nice set up and good luck bud

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns of the same size will have to work it out but tank looks sizable enough that they’ll be fine…. nice set up and good luck bud
Thank you brotha! Yeah, what I didn't consider is that they have the rock structure if they need protection (yet to see them explore it though). I guess they just like playing in the flow, I read that some ppl have clowns that enjoy it.

joseph.timbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you brotha! Yeah, what I didn't consider is that they have the rock structure if they need protection (yet to see them explore it though). I guess they just like playing in the flow, I read that some ppl have clowns that enjoy it.
Yeah think of it like a hamster wheel

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back