Is this too much sand?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 30g and I've read that some wrasse grow up to 7inches. Do you know any smaller wrasses?
Pink streak wrasse will do well in that tank. I agree with pushing the rocks down to the glass. It will shift over time if you don’t. The sand depth is fine. As others have mentioned, in a couple months add a fighting conch and about 7-10 nassarius snails. Looks great so far!

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streak wrasse will do well in that tank. I agree with pushing the rocks down to the glass. It will shift over time if you don’t. The sand depth is fine. As others have mentioned, in a couple months add a fighting conch and about 7-10 nassarius snails. Looks great so far!
Thanks!!! Very appreciated! What about a big Cowrie snail? I really like it!

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

May I ask which are the main benefits of doing this?
A lot of creatures that go into these tanks will either burrow or shift sand around, especially in the vicinity of rock. Some are surprisingly effective at this. When they do this they’ll undermine the rock and it’ll fall/settle down onto the tank base, possibly in an unpredictable and destructive manner.

If you don’t want to bury the bottom few inches of your display rockwork you can get cheap dry rock (I like flat shelf rock for this) and put it on the glass and then put your display rock on top of that, then bury the “foundation” rock with sand.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of creatures that go into these tanks will either burrow or shift sand around, especially in the vicinity of rock. Some are surprisingly effective at this. When they do this they’ll undermine the rock and it’ll fall/settle down onto the tank base, possibly in an unpredictable and destructive manner.

If you don’t want to bury the bottom few inches of your display rockwork you can get cheap dry rock (I like flat shelf rock for this) and put it on the glass and then put your display rock on top of that, then bury the “foundation” rock with sand.
I'll bury the bottom right away :eek:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there,

I am fishless cycling my tank (I am around day 15) and I was wondering if I put too much sand in my 32-gallon tank.

At the highest point, live sand is about 6,5cm tall. Is that too much?

Thanks in advance for your answers!!

IMG_0351.jpg
Looks good

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails?

OP, do you have a magnetic glass cleaner yet? Check to make sure it gets all around your rocks. That one on the right looks close to the glass.

I agree, tank looks good.
Yes, I have a magnetic glass cleaner. It fits perfectly all around. For the back of the tank (it's pvc) I believe I need a scraper?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, really? Todays reading were:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 70ppm

What should I do?

(I used red sea reef mature pro kit without nopox cause I used dry rock).
50% water change to half that nitrate number, and add your first fish, and keep her steady and stable in terms of water chemistry.

Forget ammonia and nitrite, just add fish slowly.

With rock on sand, there’s the possibility of your aquascape falling if you diggers like Diamond backs as just one example.

Rocks on glass with sand fill prevents this.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

May I ask which are the main benefits of doing this?
Inverts and some fish will hide and dig in the sand. With time, this will displace the rocks and there is a risk one of your tank inhabitants might get crushed or trapped under a rock.

It’s just best practice to put the rocks on the glass. Especially in your case, where there is a lot of sand.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, update:

I thought was easy to dig the bottom of the aquascape below the sand and..... it was a disaster..... it took me over an hour with my hand in water because as soon as I started to place them, everything fell apart.... I was panicking because I also saw a lot of dirt coming from the sand...

In the end, I fixed everything, and I had to change the whole aquascape. Now rocks are digged in the deep sand and overall look more balance with plenty of space around the rocks, more space for the fish to swim and I got an extra cave. Also, cleaning the walls gonna be much easier. After couple of hours water was cristal clean again. I hope you like it haha

IMG_0424.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, update:

I thought was easy to dig the bottom of the aquascape below the sand and..... it was a disaster..... it took me over an hour with my hand in water because as soon as I started to place them, everything fell apart.... I was panicking because I also saw a lot of dirt coming from the sand...

In the end, I fixed everything, and I had to change the whole aquascape. Now rocks are digged in the deep sand and overall look more balance with plenty of space around the rocks, more space for the fish to swim and I got an extra cave. Also, cleaning the walls gonna be much easier. After couple of hours water was cristal clean again. I hope you like it haha

IMG_0424.jpg

What do you guys think?
I like it but who am I. You need to like it. I think it'll be much more stable now.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, update:

IMG_0424.jpg

What do you guys think?
Make shure you like it... it does look good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back