Is this Trachy a goner?

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Trachy maybe three weeks ago, he looked fine when I got him, maybe even happy. A week later I noticed my cleaner shrimp (who hangs out right next to the Trachy) picking at him. I decided to keep an eye on him and noticed it a few more times over the next week. Fast forward a few days and I saw some of the flesh on the Trachy dying, it almost looked like he was shedding his skin. On Thursday I decided to move him away from the shrimps cave. Late Thursday evening he was starting to look happier. I left Friday for a trip and just got home to this, is there any hope in saving him? Any advice?

thanks!
TM
81C6976F-682D-4F74-849A-517210A496B5.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hows the mouth of the trachy? What kind of shrimp is it?

In cases like this, keep algae off the skeleton and feed trachy 2 times a week with mysis. If happy, that flesh will recover quickly.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the mouth of the trachy? What kind of shrimp is it?

In cases like this, keep algae off the skeleton and feed trachy 2 times a week with mysis. If happy, that flesh will recover quickly.
I’ve been trying to feed him but the feeder tentacles have disappeared entirely. He’s deteriorated big time. Do you think I should pull the plug?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that thing the Efff out of your tank...

That clear/brown jelly is the byproduct of a bacterial infection deep within the skeleton that has now overpowered the corals ability to fight it and the coral is being consumed.

That bacteria is communicable. Stop all flow in the tank suction as much of that off as possible, then surround it with a Ziploc bag, seal it and get it out of the water.

Sounds alarmist. Rightfully so. I've lost $5k in euphyllia heads in one BJD outbreak. It's not fun.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have iodine?
It is way too late for that homie. This type of bacteria eats from the inside, out.Crack the skeleton and it will smell Terrible. Flip it over and I'll guarantee it has no tissue showing. That would have been the last thing to go, before it attacked the flesh.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is way too late for that homie. This type of bacteria eats from the inside, out.Crack the skeleton and it will smell Terrible. Flip it over and I'll guarantee it has no tissue showing. That would have been the last thing to go, before it attacked the flesh.
I've never had to experience this level of infection. It's a sad loss.

Sorry @Tuna Melt . I agree with @Lost in the Sauce .

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That clear/brown jelly is the byproduct of a bacterial infection deep within the skeleton that has now overpowered the corals ability to fight it and the coral is being consumed.

That bacteria is communicable. Stop all flow in the tank suction as much of that off as possible, then surround it with a Ziploc bag, seal it and get it out of the water.

Sounds alarmist. Rightfully so. I've lost $5k in euphyllia heads in one BJD outbreak. It's not fun.
@MERKEY

Sanity check por favor

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I removed it, It did smell awful. I did some forensics around the Gall Crab hole and found it opened into a large cavern, I suspect it came from there. I did dip it prior to adding it to the tank.

Is a UV effective at removing the bacteria from the water column?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I removed it, It did smell awful. I did some forensics around the Gall Crab hole and found it opened into a large cavern, I suspect it came from there. I did dip it prior to adding it to the tank.

Is a UV effective at removing the bacteria from the water column?
I never worked with a uv. They need to be set right to kill the bacteria.

Hopefully you can get some advice in them. They work if setup correctly.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never worked with a uv. They need to be set right to kill the bacteria.

Hopefully you can get some advice in them. They work if setup correctly.
Gotcha, thanks for the response. I have a very oversized one (40W for roughly 34 gallons of water), I have it set to ~250 GPH which is roughly 7x turnover and delivers a UV/CM2 dose of 280+ to kill protozoa (namely ich).

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotcha, thanks for the response. I have a very oversized one (40W for roughly 34 gallons of water), I have it set to ~250 GPH which is roughly 7x turnover and delivers a UV/CM2 dose of 280+ to kill protozoa (namely ich).
Should work if its set for killing ich. That's the hardest one from my understanding to nuke with uv.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work if its set for killing ich. That's the hardest one from my understanding to nuke with uv.
Fingers crossed! Candidly I don't have a ton of coral yet but I have enough that if a bacterial infection ran rampant through my tank it would ruin my week. Looks like I have some homework to do on the subject :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back