Is this true nassarius snail? Killed my fish?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't a nass snail. Its a whelk. Look a the siphon, if it looks tattooed, its a whelk. good article.

This is a very inaccurate article that makes a ton of assumptions about Nassarius snails and whelks based on a limited number of species. In particular, multiple species of Nassarius snails do indeed feature patterned siphons (ex. Nassarius margaritifer) and some whelks, like Kellet's whelk (Kelletia kelletii) lack patterning on their siphons.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from any sort of expert, but from personal experience I will confidently say that there’s no way a nassarius snail hunted down and killed (or attempted to) any healthy fish.

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone jumps to nassarius snails being secret whelks rather than considering they're carnivorous snails which are rather fast (for a snail). I don't think they care where the meat comes from if they're hungry and have an opportunity.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most scavengers are opportunistic predators and I suspect that's the case with larger nassarius species if any animal can't get away from them.
I think everyone jumps to nassarius snails being secret whelks rather than considering they're carnivorous snails which are rather fast (for a snail). I don't think they care where the meat comes from if they're hungry and have an opportunity.
My Nassarius snails only respond to dead/dying organisms. They literally do not care when my hands enter my aquarium, but if I have a cut and a single drop of my blood enters the tank, they all wake up and start searching for food.

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nassarius snails only respond to dead/dying organisms. They literally do not care when my hands enter my aquarium, but if I have a cut and a single drop of my blood enters the tank, they all wake up and start searching for food.
If they only respond to dead/dying organisms, were you dying when you had a small cut on your hand lol

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was injured.
For the record, I don't think they're usually going after most uninjured fish either (slow moving inverts that can't withdraw into a shell might be another story) and I probably should have worded my earlier posts better. They're not wanton murder machines or anything, and most greatly prefer scavenging in general. I just wouldn't assume something that was still alive when they were eating it was 100% doomed to die anyway.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, if it's weak enough to not be moving away from being eaten alive, something is definitely very wrong with it.
Anthias: "Huh? What's happening?"
Nassarius snails: "We're just gonna eat you if you're okay with that."
Anthias: "Oh, Okay. Go ahead."
1702567839419.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back