Is this usable as a par meter ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very confused between par meter and lux meter. I need to assess par in my tank and I found this lux meter at a reasonable price (renting is 70$ CAD for 5 days).

Would this work and would I have to translate every results in par? If so are there any reliable calculators ?

Thank you !

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to measure PAR not LUX. PAR is photosynthetically active radiation and that is what you need to establish for growth of your corals. Usually in the range of 400-700nm.
LUX is what your eye perceive and would be much les aplicable to Reef-keeping and perhaps more to photography.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to measure PAR not LUX. PAR is photosynthetically active radiation and that is what you need to establish for growth of your corals. Usually in the range of 400-700nm.
LUX is what your eye perceive and would be much les aplicable to Reef-keeping and perhaps more to photography.
Thank you. So using a lux meter such as this one and then converting the results into par wouldn’t give the same result as using a par meter ?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Can I Use A Lux Meter To Measure Par?​

No, you cannot use a lux meter to measure PAR. While bothlux and PAR are units of measurement for light, they measure different things. Lux measures the amount of visible light in an area, while PAR measures the amount of photosynthetically active radiation in an area.

This means that a lux meter will not be able to accurately measure the PAR in an area.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I Use A Lux Meter To Measure Par?​

No, you cannot use a lux meter to measure PAR. While bothlux and PAR are units of measurement for light, they measure different things. Lux measures the amount of visible light in an area, while PAR measures the amount of photosynthetically active radiation in an area.

This means that a lux meter will not be able to accurately measure the PAR in an area.
Gotcha !

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy from Brs and then return for refund…. Or go to local fish store and ask if they have a par meter for rent or even ask a local fish group if u have one in ur area

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
LUX meters measure the amount of light for humans while PAR measures a spectral range of photons

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy from Brs and then return for refund…. Or go to local fish store and ask if they have a par meter for rent or even ask a local fish group if u have one in ur area
I’m from Canada. I’ve asked local groups but par meters don’t seem popular. I’ve found a store that has some. It’s 30 minutes away in the city, so maybe I’ll go next week to avoid the weekend traffic.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from Canada. I’ve asked local groups but par meters don’t seem popular. I’ve found a store that has some. It’s 30 minutes away in the city, so maybe I’ll go next week to avoid the weekend traffic.
Off topic, but it's so cute to me when people comment that a 30 minute drive is long... Here in Houston, you can drive an hour and still be in Houston! Lol! (And that's even without traffic) :)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but it's so cute to me when people comment that a 30 minute drive is long... Here in Houston, you can drive an hour and still be in Houston! Lol! (And that's even without traffic) :)
Yeah, it’s not that it’s long but I hate going into a 1 million+ people city. I’ve worked there for so long (and lived there for many years) but now that I’m getting older, I avoid it as much as I can. :)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not as big as Houston though (Montreal). But it’s orange cone festival pretty much all year long. Such a pita !

Now I live in a city with a population of 45k and it’s perfect for me !

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back