Is this used Reef Octopus 150 a good idea?

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a first-time reefer going the DIY route by drilling a 75-gallon + 40-gal breeder SUMP. I got most of the things I need except for lights and a protein skimmer. I saw this person is selling their 1-year-old used Reef Octopus 150 for $210 CAD and I'm just wondering whether it's a good price or not.

What should I look for when I check out the skimmer?

Should I avoid used equipment as a newbie?

1.PNG
2.PNG

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are pretty simple. All they are is a pump, something to make bubbles, a tube for the foam to climb, an adjustment for the foam, and a collection cup. So there is nothing much to break. If the pump is good, it should work fine. And the Reef Octopus 150 should be plenty strong for your system.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For around half of the price of a new one it looks like a good deal to me. As already mentioned l, as long as the pump runs then it should be good.
If going for a budget build it looks like a great way to get a good skimmer for a reasonable price.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a space saver like the newer models but as said and I agree a great protein skimmer. Reef octopus has been in the game for awhile and make great skimmers. I'd ask to hear the pump run in say a bathtub or 5g bucket if it'll fit. It might not. Or ask to see the impellar on the pump. Check the ceramic shaft for any chips or damage as this will effect the skimmers performance and might save you $50 for buying a new impeller.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple diy Overflow kit can be purchased with a diamond coated drill bit, an Overflow box, and the drilling template for say $75 or under. This plus a diy sump with baffles and a pump to kick the water back up. I've always reefed like this. + an acrylic builder will make u a nicer sump and display down the road when u can afford it. Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread just putting it out their.
D

OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple diy Overflow kit can be purchased with a diamond coated drill bit, an Overflow box, and the drilling template for say $75 or under. This plus a diy sump with baffles and a pump to kick the water back up. I've always reefed like this. + an acrylic builder will make u a nicer sump and display down the road when u can afford it. Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread just putting it out their.
D

Thanks bud, that's exactly the route I'm going for! I'm drilling a 75-gal tank and converting a 40-gal breeder to a sump with acrylic baffles. I'm leaning towards buying this but right now just figuring out lights. Are used lights a good idea?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used lights can b effiy. Usually out dated cuz the original owner has upgraded. A used t5 lamp is acceptable as it usually just needs new bulbs or ballasts and is an easy fix. Look at the t5 grow lamps that the hemp growers are using. This is a good cheaper alternative.
I usually recommend oddysea brand t5 lamps for 1st lights.
D

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back