Is this velvet or brook?

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna. I realize they do not back this product for salt water, but I had it tested against a $350 photo/digital meter kit that one of the pet stores uses on their tanks and it was spot on with 3 different tank(s)water samples that I had with my Hanna kit. I trust that more than I do trying to use those crazy color charts. My badges now show .05 “alert”, better than the false reading of 1.0 , what a relief!
Thanks Renee180 - that’s very interesting. I too struggle with reading the color change tests. I’m switching over to Hanna & recently went with the CHEMets Copper Test which is a bit pricey but very readable.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Renee180 - that’s very interesting. I too struggle with reading the color change tests. I’m switching over to Hanna & recently went with the CHEMets Copper Test which is a bit pricey but very readable.
By the way, a small water change will normally get your ammonia badge back to zero. I’m using microbacteria in my coppersafe QT. I run a small sponge filter with airstone to maintain. It took me too tries over couple of days to get it started but it’s doing the job now.

OP
OP
Renee180

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have started bacteria, aquavitro seed by sea chem. i did see the test kit you are talking about and thought about getting one, but after verifying my results with the $350 store tester I feel much better about the accuracy of my hanna kit.

OP
OP
Renee180

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearing the30 days for the clown and the tangs in 2 weeks. They have all done great. But they have really only had the formalin bath for 90 min in the beginning and the fw dip. Seachem said not to use the metroplex with copper, so the maroon had 2 doses in the beginning and the tangs had 0. So my question is, once the copper is gone on day 31, should I start the metroplex treatment in the water to cover the Brook issue since copper does not kill brook? I am going to do a complete tank sterilization with vinegar and water, rinse dry and refill with new salt water, that has been seeded with micro7 bacteria. So it would be free of all copper and hopefully anything else at that point.
Now to add one more item. The lyretail that was treated before any of them is still doing well and was only treated with furan 2 for about 14 days. She had different symptoms, weird swimming, hovering near the overflows , straight up and down , head down, wanted to eat but wouldn't, no spots, no scratching, no torn fins only pale color. She seemed at deaths door way worse than all the rest when I started treating her. Will she need to be treated with the copper for 30 days , and the metro plex too? I AM THINKING YES. since she is not in copper now i would like to do the metroplex first , NO formalin, as I feel it is way to deadly for her future outlook (didn't really realize this before I used it on the other fish) . Since this doesnt appear to be an emergency at this time , I can choose another medication. Will this be enough to cover all my bases and have disease free fish? They will be out of the dt until the middle of Jan. So plenty of time for a fishless display tank.

OP
OP
Renee180

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats velvet
I think at this point they may have had velvet and brook. And maybe a bacterial infection also. My posts are way too long but lets just say they all had very different systems from each other and if I go into all of them , they cover all the symptoms of all three things. and the only fish that died actually looked the healthiest of them all and was off for at least 2 weeks before I actually pulled him out. He was the first. And a good 3 weeks after that before I pulled the last 3 tangs out. Lucky for me, it moved slower in my tank than it does for most. I hate myself for playing the wait and see game. I know that fish coild have been saved, I just had NO experience with medications and they terrified me. Now I have learned ! Thanks for your thoughts , I do appreciate everyones help here :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%

Back