Is this velvet?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Pretty self explanatory title unfortunately. I noticed some spots on my fish this evening and just want to ensure I’m not creating panic when there’s no need. Does this picture look like velvet?

35C52CD2-9F3E-4C04-B6DD-CF5511BB246E.jpeg

67C2853F-5FF1-4001-B08E-38B679C1706B.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like velvet to me no.

Hippo tangs commonly get small marks or spots on them since they love to wedge themselves in between rocks and things.

I would just keep an eye on it. If it were parasitic I would guess ich not velvet but I don't think either are the case here. As long as the rest of your fish look good.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will get a picture in just a minute. I’m glad you think it’s not at first glance. I was in the process of setting up a QT :rolleyes:

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this any better? One tough fish to photograph

E7CDE7B4-B409-443F-BB8A-10F77653B701.jpeg

D3CB9ED5-62DF-4819-AFAE-10C40D4782B1.jpeg

5AC497A4-6BAB-4F32-A0E9-236D4A83AD4C.jpeg

87A26980-7169-43B5-8322-3D6474E9050E.jpeg

CA7116C2-E91D-47D1-AAF5-6E95E93781B7.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fewer and larger usually denotes Ich; where as uncountable, small usually denote velvet. So we look for other symptoms for velvet: rapid breathing, swimming into a powerhead, avoiding light, loss of apatite, and then the trick is to look at the fish in the long direction from tail to head and look for the telltale velvety sheen on the skin which is often hard to initially see without careful observation/examination.
The treatment for both is the same, just quicker ramping up for velvet.
Freshwater dip to rid the fish's gills of some of the parasites to help it breathe and fight secondary infection.
Followed by an acriflavine bath for 60-90 minutes. Ruby Reef Rally is suggested as it has both antibiotic and antiseptic qualties, again to help with secondary infections.
Copper. Suggest Copper Power. It's dosing it pretty accurate. Therapeutic level is 1.5 - 2.0 ppm. 1.75 is right in the middle and gets the job done and is easier on the fish. A Hanna HL Copper Checker is great to monitor the copper level.
A wide spectrum antibiotic is good to have on hand for those secondary bacterial infections: Kanaplex, Furan2, NFG are good choices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G what do you think of the last picture? That's a better image of what worries me. They're all still eating well and nobody is avoiding light.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest Yes, I've looked at that tonight since I noticed the spots, and that's what made me start setting up a quarantine. That's what worried me and made me just want a second opinion before I pull and treat with copper

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest Yes, I've looked at that tonight since I noticed the spots, and that's what made me start setting up a quarantine. That's what worried me and made me just want a second opinion before I pull and treat with copper
You have right people looking. I’m interested in what they say. I think velvet.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely will want to pull and treat with copper. After seeing the PT I think you may indeed be dealing with velvet.

Either way whether it be ich or velvet the treatment is the same. Velvet just requires getting the copper therapeutic within 48 hours for best chance of survival.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G what do you think of the last picture? That's a better image of what worries me. They're all still eating well and nobody is avoiding light.
How long have you had the two tangs? When was the last "wet" (fish, corals, inverts) thing added to the tank?

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the PT about a week ago from a LFS who claimed he ran therapeutic copper and prazi and did a full QT. I was stupid for believing him.

My problem now is to pull all my fish and treat them. Of course nobody is compatible with a single form of treatment. Have the two tangs, two wrasses, a mandarin, blenny, goby, anthias, and a longnose butterfly.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the PT about a week ago from a LFS who claimed he ran therapeutic copper and prazi and did a full QT. I was stupid for believing him.
That timeline lines up with velvet unfortunately. It would be unlikely to get that kind of ich coverage in a week's time.

Never trust anyone's QT but your own.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My problem now is to pull all my fish and treat them. Of course nobody is compatible with a single form of treatment. Have the two tangs, two wrasses, a mandarin, blenny, goby, anthias, and a longnose butterfly.
Good luck! You can do this.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have CP and copper on hand?

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering we believe it's velvet, would I be better to wait until the morning and find some copper power, start cupramine now and do some water changes with copper power to get rid of it, or wait until the morning and start with copper power?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back