Is this velvet?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ebay CP or Cupramine
CP is Chloroquine Phosphate, by the way. Cupramine is ionic copper. You may know that but this post had me wanting to ensure you knew that :)

Most of us avoid eBay CP due to its assumed unknown purity.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I bought Ebay CP and he said it came from Fishman pharma, I'm not sure if I want to test it or not. Should I wait until morning and get copper power, or start the cupramine now?

I would even be willing to dose a bit of cupramine tonight, then run some carbon or something tomorrow to pull it and then use copper power if it would help at all.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we may have caught it in time. Fish are in therapeutic level of copper now and I no longer see spots which (I think) is at least a good sign that we are moving in the right direction. Is copper for 30 days required for velvet?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we may have caught it in time. Fish are in therapeutic level of copper now and I no longer see spots which (I think) is at least a good sign that we are moving in the right direction. Is copper for 30 days required for velvet?
That's good news!

Yes 30 days of therapeutic copper using the same tank or 14 days therapuetic copper if you have a second sterile QT they can be transfered to.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks If I have a second tank, but not two sets of filtration equipment would it be ok to move them to a second tank after 14 days and then sterilize all my equipment in a bleach solution and reuse it? Or is that not a safe bet?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a chance I'd be willing to take. In theory if everything is sanitized properly it could work.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Ok, so as long as everyone does well in copper, they'll stay in copper for 30 days. It's 6 weeks fallow for the DT too right? Just making sure I have all my ducks in a row.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Ok, so as long as everyone does well in copper, they'll stay in copper for 30 days. It's 6 weeks fallow for the DT too right? Just making sure I have all my ducks in a row.
6 weeks fallow to eliminate velvet.
76 days for ich. If fish are doing well in QT I would just go the 76 days to be safe.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've got them all stuffed in one 20L QT currently since that's the biggest I've got. I'm going to split them and put some in another 20L which should make them more comfortable and we will see how it goes! Thanks for your help. I'll keep you updated

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've got them all stuffed in one 20L QT currently since that's the biggest I've got. I'm going to split them and put some in another 20L which should make them more comfortable and we will see how it goes! Thanks for your help. I'll keep you updated
Good luck! What did you do with your mandarin?

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest I put him in a separate 10g tank and will treat him with my questionable CP :rolleyes:

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, everyone is still alive and kicking. I had pulled the tangs first and the butterfly since they were the most symptomatic and they have been in therapeutic copper for several days now. The wrasses and smaller fish waited until the next day since I had to practically break down the whole tank to find them. They’re in QT as well and since they haven’t displayed any s/s of velvet I’ve been raising the copper more slowly with them. Hoping to have them at full therapeutic today, but not necessarily rushing since I have a six week fallow period anyway at a minimum.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried dosing peroxide for velvet? Found an interesting article about it.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/sp/feature/index.php

404DC16D-BF91-4917-BD58-04627D6FAE5C.png

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brwaldbaum thars very interesting. If I would’ve thought about it I would’ve given it a try. I was dosing pretty heavily with h2o2 in my tank recently because of dinos, and didn’t have any ill effects on my fish.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is still doing well. I have three tanks set up. The butterfly, purple tang, and both clowns are in the tank on the windowsill and seem to all be perfectly happy and loving life. The mandarin is in a 10g quarantine with CP and I haven’t quite figured out what to feed him yet since he used to just eat pods in the DT. I have a culture and tried dosing some to his tank even though he’s in CP, in addition I’ve tried offering some white worms. The wrasses, hippo, and smaller fish are in another QT on the floor of the basement and seem to hide a lot more than the other fish in the windowsill. They are all alive and kicking and I just got the wrasse/hippo/small fish QT back up to therapeutic levels today.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back