Is this velvet?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks I don’t have Kanaplex on hand. Should I start with the Furan and Kanaplex when I get it? Provided nothing dislodged during the fw dip.
Yes, that is better than waiting. You can just add Kanaplex to the mix once you have it.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Thanks. I've got the water circulating and a heater going for my FW dip. First time ever trying one of these. I read the thread on here to get it set up :rolleyes:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Thanks. I've got the water circulating and a heater going for my FW dip. First time ever trying one of these. I read the thread on here to get it set up :rolleyes:
It seems much more stressful that it really is. Don't be alarmed if the fish lays on it's side for most of the dip. It's normal. Set a timer. Remove and place directly back into the QT at 5min mark.

Use a dark bucket so you can see if flukes come off. They are much easier to see in a dark container. Good luck!

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More stressful for me than for the fish apparently :D The tang swam around the whole time like nothing much was going on. I don’t see much from the FW dip, and there’s still string like things hanging from the fish.

I think most of what’s in the picture is sand from the bucket.
16CF4C48-20C8-4349-B201-308F654DB2B9.jpeg

48CAEEB1-7B5A-4AA5-AFA9-B3D0FB7ED51C.jpeg

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks for your continuing help. I ordered more financial 2 and Kanaplex with prime. I have enough furan to get started but not enough to finish a week. The fish have been in copper for two weeks, so maybe it’s worth transferring to a clean tank and treating with just antibiotics instead of antibiotics and copper. Is it ok to dose the antibiotics at the same time? Or do you alternate treatment days?

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks I’m not going to be home this weekend until Sunday evening. Furan 2 says to dose, wait 24 hours and then dose again. Should I just dose tonight and then wait until Sunday to re-dose? Or wait until Sunday to start the treatment? I just did a water change in the QT tank with the purple tang.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the freshwater dip would affect the bacteria on the fish? There’s much fewer of those white tufts on the fish several hours after the freshwater dip? Maybe the osmotic pressure killed some of the bacteria?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks I’m not going to be home this weekend until Sunday evening. Furan 2 says to dose, wait 24 hours and then dose again. Should I just dose tonight and then wait until Sunday to re-dose? Or wait until Sunday to start the treatment? I just did a water change in the QT tank with the purple tang.
Dose now and then again on Sunday. That way you have at least some antibiotics present. Heavy heavy agitation at surface of water is key here. Combining meds depletes oxygen.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’ll dose today and then hopefully the Kanaplex is here by Sunday and I’ll add that as well. Depending upon what time we get back Sunday I might be able to make enough rodi to transfer to a new sterile QT since that’ll be the two week mark for therapeutic copper. I read in one of @Humblefish posts that copper is an immunosuppressant so it can’t hurt to get them out of the copper.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed the second round of antibiotics yesterday. Fish appears to be getting better, didn't notice any of those fuzzy things on the fish when I returned home yesterday.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed the second round of antibiotics yesterday. Fish appears to be getting better, didn't notice any of those fuzzy things on the fish when I returned home yesterday.
Good deal!

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't manage to make enough water, so I assigned that task to my girlfriend while I'm at work for 36 hours. Going to execute the transfer to a sterile tank Tuesday evening when I get home.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks I just moved the last of the fish today out of copper and into a sterile quarantine tank. The two clownfish I have look like they've got a bit of pop eye going on :mad: should I just give them a few days and see how it goes now that they are out of the copper which immunosuppresses them some? I also read Epsom salt on the forms here somewhere for pop eye. I don't have any of that, but have Pharma grade BRS Mag sulfate or mag chloride. Could I substitute one of them for epsom salt?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use neoplex. If you have Kanaplex on hand I'd go ahead and dose it.

@Humblefish can probably answer your questions in regards to the substitute for epsom salt.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also read Epsom salt on the forms here somewhere for pop eye. I don't have any of that, but have Pharma grade BRS Mag sulfate or mag chloride. Could I substitute one of them for epsom salt?

Epsom salt that you buy at the drugstore is 100% USP magnesium sulfate. BRS pharma grade mag sulfate should be identical and usable in the same quantity for treatment. Epsom salt added to water definitely works to reduce eye swelling through its osmotic effect, for freshwater fish. But I'm not sure how helpful it is for saltwater fish; in principle, I wouldn't expect it to do much.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree with anything in that thread, or others like it. It's just not clear to me that epsom salt actually does anything in saltwater, and if so, how it does it. Adding mag sulfate will not increase the osmotic pressure of saltwater anything like it will do with freshwater, which is how it is claimed to work in freshwater. Does it hurt? No. Does it help? I'm not convinced. Most cases of unilateral popeye are probably destined to resolve without any treatment, and bilateral is likely bacterial infection and should be treated with antibiotics.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back