Pop eye

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow pyramid injured his eye and now has a bacterial infection. I can't catch the thing for the life of me... Will this resolve on its own without antibiotics or is the only way of saving his eye is to treat?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he just bumped his eye, yes, it will heal on its own. Not to worry.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One eye or both? Are any of the eye(s) cloudy/milky?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Susanak6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas how to capture him without taking all the rock out? It's getting pretty bad

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried everything except taking my rock out and draining half the tank.. Sure hope he gets better cause unless I treat the whole tank I can't get to him :/

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY redneck fish trap using eggcrate, fishing line, and zip ties. :D

Fish-Trap-1.jpg

Fish-Trap-2.jpg

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smartest dang fish... Traps won't work.. Guess I'm gonna have an eye less fish soon :'(

Other than that fish is totally fine though

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught him! Not looking too good... Hopefully don't have antibiotics will get him better

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The infection was so bad he didn't last the night... :(

Sorry to hear this. Bacterial infections are very hard to gauge, especially considering we have no good way of treating them in fish. Dosing antibiotics into the water can be slow acting, biodegradation can occur, antibiotics can have harsh side effects, etc. For really bad infections you almost have to perform daily antiseptic (e.g. acriflavine) baths to keep the infection under control until the antibiotics kick in. Also, it is important to note that antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics merely control the population growth of bacteria in a fish long enough for its immune system to eliminate them. So, a fish with a compromised immune system is doomed no matter what you do. :(

It has been suggested that injecting a fish with antibiotics or applying a topical antibiotic would be a more effective strategy, and I certainly agree with that. However, in most cases a sedative would be needed beforehand to avoid damaging the fish. The first part of the video below shows how MS-222 can be used for this purpose:

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. Bacterial infections are very hard to gauge, especially considering we have no good way of treating them in fish. Dosing antibiotics into the water can be slow acting, biodegradation can occur, antibiotics can have harsh side effects, etc. For really bad infections you almost have to perform daily antiseptic (e.g. acriflavine) baths to keep the infection under control until the antibiotics kick in. Also, it is important to note that antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics merely control the population growth of bacteria in a fish long enough for its immune system to eliminate them. So, a fish with a compromised immune system is doomed no matter what you do. :(

It has been suggested that injecting a fish with antibiotics or applying a topical antibiotic would be more effective, and I certainly agree with that. However, in most cases a sedative would be needed beforehand to avoid damaging the fish. The first part of the video below shows how MS-222 can be used for this purpose:

Thanks for the info, hopefully I won't have to worry about this again

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back