OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Thanks for the wrasse update! I'm going to actually try to replace my pintail (jumper) and golden rhomboid (lost during this velvet issue). Since they're both Cirrhilabrus wrasses I'll just use CP. It's much easier than copper :). On the chart you helped formulate, what would you rank CP (1-5) for the Cirrhilabrus genus?

Edit: I guess that's a good question for any of the resident experts actually

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put two pintails through CP and they both did fine, fwiw. :)

One of my pintails also jumped. Out of a tank with a lid, through a very small feeding hole. And landed back on top of the lid, where it died. Meaning that, in this case, if I hadn't had the lid, it would have fallen back in the water and done just fine. Ouch.

Also had a lineatus jump 5 times, from a different tank. Saved him the first 4, but he was persistent. ;Shifty

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rkpetersen Mine was similar. I have 99.9% covered and then there’s a small spot next to my return that she jumped through. I noticed she was missing for a few days and found her dried up behind the tank ;Sorry

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet looks like powdered sugar and often produces a golden sheen. Ich looks line grains of salt - sometimes appearing elongated when secondary bacterial infection is present (common).

What I see looks more like a mild case of ich if anything (in the pic of the PT I see stuff on the glass which may be making things look worse than they really are.)

If you haven't added anything new recently (past couple of weeks), I'd hold off doing anything other than preparing and keeping an eye on it.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robert thanks, but you’re a bit late on this one :D. Already pulled everyone and treated with copper. They’re just sitting in sterile tanks now til my fallow is done.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robert thanks. I was having mysterious losses in the beginning until I saw the white spots on the purple tang. Pulled everyone and treated with copper. Lost one wrasse throughout the process. Now I’m almost done with the fallow period for the tank and will be restocking soon. :)

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 Could you give a risk ranking to CP for fairy wrasses and possibly update the chart for these two genus based on humble’s post above?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 Could you give a risk ranking to CP for fairy wrasses and possibly update the chart for these two genus based on humble’s post above?
Mel is no longer active unfortunately.

@Humblefish is the only other person I know that has experience with wrasses and CP.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Thanks for that. Humblefish said they’re safe, I was just curious how safe on a 0-10 scale :D:rolleyes:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Thanks for that. Humblefish said they’re safe, I was just curious how safe on a 0-10 scale :D:rolleyes:
I can tell you this. Anything he's ever told me (which is a lot!) You can take it to the bank.

He errors on the side of caution more frequently than not.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I know his information is gold. I was just curious if it was a risk at all. Based on his conservative opinion you portray I would assume CP is equal to or less risky than copper for this genus. Thanks :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I know his information is gold. I was just curious if it was a risk at all. Based on his conservative opinion you portray I would assume CP is equal to or less risky than copper for this genus. Thanks :)

Based on the fish I've tested, Cirrhilabrus & Halichoeres are very safe in CP. But keep in mind Cirrhilabrus are a PITA to QT in the first place (not very tolerant of meds in general, spinal injuries, swim bladder disorders, etc.) So, treating with CP doesn't necessarily increase your odds with one of those.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But keep in mind Cirrhilabrus are a PITA to QT in the first place (not very tolerant of meds in general, spinal injuries, swim bladder disorders, etc.) So, treating with CP doesn't necessarily increase your odds with one of those.

I've had one pintail dead within a day after adding a normal dose of GC. An earlier somewhat larger specimen of the same species did fine with it. :confused:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one pintail dead within a day after adding a normal dose of GC. An earlier somewhat larger specimen of the same species did fine with it. :confused:

I've been pretty successful with Pintails - using both CP + GC and copper + GC. The worst thing about them is how timid they are and they try to jump out all the time. I also witnessed one specimen dart right into a PVC elbow and knocked himself out. He never woke up again. :(

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that was doing great in QT for 4 weeks. Hadn’t treated it yet, just observing. Started TTM and used a heater that was a little large for my bucket so it stuck out a bit into the air. Cooked my poor fish in bathwater :(

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 6 weeks is up! I've started slowly re-introducing fish so that I don't shock the DT or my corals with a nutrient spike or anything. As I put these fish back upstairs, I went ahead and replaced the golden rhomboid and pintail wrasses I lost. Acclimated well and the golden rhomboid ate some white worms shortly after introduction. Pintail didn't eat yet but it's only the first day

pKVb7+u9Sumvj8Il0yJoxg.jpg

TTU%kPIxRZi2NNTqIIScIg.jpg

KFlXDQa2S6qVzINyAHn9cA.jpg

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we think the diffuse red spot near the dorsal fin on the pintail is normal coloration, or a bacterial infection maneifesting?

E7C4E3DD-40CB-4101-9D0D-017B72FBD00F.jpeg

22EBC171-B55F-447F-AB75-60D10EE14B5F.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we think the diffuse red spot near the dorsal fin on the pintail is normal coloration, or a bacterial infection maneifesting?

E7C4E3DD-40CB-4101-9D0D-017B72FBD00F.jpeg

22EBC171-B55F-447F-AB75-60D10EE14B5F.jpeg
Do you have the ability to put him under full light and upload pics?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back