Is this velvet?

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this foxface for several months and it has been super healthy. Eats great etc. I have not noticed any behavior changes that are indicative of velvet. I did add a new tang to the tank about two weeks ago. The tang went through a short QT where I treated with prazipro and then the standard 2 rounds of copper per instructions. Tang never showed any symptoms and still looks perfect. I did not do the "full" 30 days of post medication QT so total time in QT was about 2 weeks. ( I figured this was a small gamble...hopefully I wasn't wrong)

This morning I noticed some tiny specs on the fox face which really feels like it might be velvet, despite the lack of any other symptoms. What do you guys think? I feel like I should go ahead and pull him out and stick him in the QT and treat. I don't want to lose him and really don't want to lose anybody else. Thoughts? The spots are mostly near the dorsal fin.
20190309_095943.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind are your tangs? How do they look?

I see some small specs in pic. Can't say for sure that it's velvet.

If it is velvet you should see many more spots appear in the next 24-48 hours.

Can you describe exactly what you did with your copper? What kind you used, how long he was in copper etc.

When you say two rounds I'm assuming you used cupramine following their instructions for 2 doses.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind are your tangs? How do they look?

I see some small specs in pic. Can't say for sure that it's velvet.

If it is velvet you should see many more spots appear in the next 24-48 hours.

Can you describe exactly what you did with your copper? What kind you used, how long he was in copper etc.

When you say two rounds I'm assuming you used cupramine following their instructions for 2 doses.
It is a white tail bristle tooth. He looks perfect, eating etc and generally being happy.
I used API super ick cure after the prazi. Per bottle directions and the QT sticjy here I dosed 5ml per 5 gallons once. Waited 48 hours, dosed again, waited another 48 and then ran carbon. A couple days later I added him to the DT.

I'm going to keep a close eye on him. The spots don't scream parasite but I don't know what else it could be. Fwiw they don't look like part of his skin.

Edit, also ran a cheapo UV sterilizer for a couple days following the copper. No idea if it does anything but couldn't hurt.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a white tail bristle tooth. He looks perfect, eating etc and generally being happy.
I used API super ick cure after the prazi. Per bottle directions and the QT sticjy here I dosed 5ml per 5 gallons once. Waited 48 hours, dosed again, waited another 48 and then ran carbon. A couple days later I added him to the DT.

I'm going to keep a close eye on him. The spots don't scream parasite but I don't know what else it could be. Fwiw they don't look like part of his skin.

Edit, also ran a cheapo UV sterilizer for a couple days following the copper. No idea if it does anything but couldn't hurt.
Ich cure is not copper it's actually malachite green. Which will not do anything for SW ich or velvet.

I'd keep a very close eye on the fish as it may very well be the beginning of velvet.

I'd have your QT ready and be ready to move all of your fish and treat with copper.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich cure is not copper it's actually malachite green. Which will not do anything for SW ich or velvet.

I'd keep a very close eye on the fish as it may berry well be the beginning of velvet.

I'd have your QT ready and be ready to move all of your fish and treat with copper.
Well F me, did not realize that! Thanks, I'll get myself ready. I can't seem to catch a break with this hobby lately. :/

Last edited:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well F me, did not realize that! Thanks, I'll get myself ready. I can't seem to catch a break with this hobby lately. :/

I would recommend getting some copper power as it’s cheleted and easier on fish. I would also recommend the Hanna high range copper checker and two boxes of extra reagents as it only comes with 6. I’m not saying this is velvet but it would be good to be prepared Incase it is.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll see how he looks tomorrow. If the spots spread or he acts weird I'll toss him and my tang into QT. Not only are they they most likely to fet velvet but they are almost my only expensive.

Can other fish be carriers? Like a low grade infection that doesn't show symptoms? The lifestyle suggests velvet won't usually last more than a week without an active host but I wouldn't want to reintroduce them only to be reinfected.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll see how he looks tomorrow. If the spots spread or he acts weird I'll toss him and my tang into QT. Not only are they they most likely to fet velvet but they are almost my only expensive.

Can other fish be carriers? Like a low grade infection that doesn't show symptoms? The lifestyle suggests velvet won't usually last more than a week without an active host but I wouldn't want to reintroduce them only to be reinfected.

Yes, typical carriers are fish like Wrasses, Gobies, etc anything with a thicker slime coat. Any fish in that tank needs to be treated with copper and the DT needs to be fallow for 6 weeks or you will reinfect.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, typical carriers are fish like Wrasses, Gobies, etc anything with a thicker slime coat. Any fish in that tank needs to be treated with copper and the DT needs to be fallow for 6 weeks or you will reinfect.
Yep, if it's velvet this^^^ is a must.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing the dots as of this evening. Perhaps a false alarm. Maybe the FoxFace is trolling me.

It is normal for the spots to fall off it is part of the lifecycle. They drop off to the sandbed to multiply and will come back in greater numbers.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing the dots as of this evening. Perhaps a false alarm. Maybe the FoxFace is trolling me.

It's common for the spots to go away. These are just entrance wounds where the parasites enter the fish. The parasites then work their way towards the gills and the entrance wounds heal up.

Tomorrow morning is a good time to inspect him well. What happens is the fish are attacked by the free swimming parasites at night as they stay in the same place while sleeping leaving them more vulnerable.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's common for the spots to go away. These are just entrance wounds where the parasites enter the fish. The parasites then work their way towards the gills and the entrance wounds heal up.

Tomorrow morning is a good time to inspect him well. What happens is the fish are attacked by the free swimming parasites at night as they stay in the same place while sleeping leaving them more vulnerable.
Will review in the AM. Thanks

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero symptoms today on the fox face.

I've read that infected fish can loom dirty. Does this chromis suggest that? Hard to tell from the pic. Normally I'd say it looks like some bruises from fighting each other. I only see the blotches on one of them.
20190310_090521.jpg

I have a small QT already running but I'm going to put up a 40 or 55 today so I can pull all the fish if needed. At this point I guess I'll monitor the tang and fox face very closely. If I see any more dots or odd behavior I'll pull them ASAP and grab the rest of the crew soon after. I actually need to swap my stand out (existing stand is failing) so I'll have to pull the fish soon for that anyway. I should have bought a hamster. ;)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With velvet they can look "blotchy" before the actual mucous spots show up. I cant see anything like that in the photo, but here's an example on a tang. See the dark spots, it's pretty noticeable.

pt.jpg

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With velvet they can look "blotchy" before the actual mucous spots show up. I cant see anything like that in the photo, but here's an example on a tang. See the dark spots, it's pretty noticeable.

pt.jpg
Thanks. I did see that reference pic. Fortunately it's not like that. I'm hoping this is a false alarm.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The small spots are back. Either he is a magnet dor air bubbles or it's ick/velvet. Currently in QT tank with cupramine. TBD on other fish.

Thanks for the help all.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2. Fox face is not happy with the change. His dorsal fins are erect and he is responsive but laying down on the bottom of QT. I startled him and he swam around normaly for a bit but then right back to it. Now I get to play the "did I make the right call" game.

I'm betting he is dead when I get home tonight. No other fish showing symptoms. The tang might be swimming into the powerhead bit thay may be my paranoia. Reluctant to move him quite yet considering the fox face. Sigh.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back