Is this velvet?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you did the right thing. I know a lot of people see a fish freak-out in QT and immediately think they need to remove the copper. I would highly advise NOT to do that, because often it’s the only thing keeping the fish alive.

Foxface are known for their sulking. I would try not to worry too much yet, just keep a close eye on ammonia and add as much O2 exchange as possible to help him breathe. An acriflavine bath might provide some relief and help ward off infection as well.

If the tang is swimming in the powerhead, it’s a tell-tale sign of velvet. I’d be prepared to move the rest quickly, just in case.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you did the right thing. I know a lot of people see a fish freak-out in QT and immediately think they need to remove the copper. I would highly advise NOT to do that, because often it’s the only thing keeping the fish alive.

Foxface are known for their sulking. I would try not to worry too much yet, just keep a close eye on ammonia and add as much O2 exchange as possible to help him breathe. An acriflavine bath might provide some relief and help ward off infection as well.

If the tang is swimming in the powerhead, it’s a tell-tale sign of velvet. I’d be prepared to move the rest quickly, just in case.
I figure whatever negative health impact he is seeing is already done and removing the copper would just allow any bugs to start reproducing again. He/she is definitely a drama queen. I did feel a little better when he swam around a bit like normal. I added some nori so if that is gone when I get home I'll feel much better.

I'll pull the tang out this afternoon when I get home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. This morning he was dead. I'm confused as to why. In QT he was definitely acting odd but I took that to be stress induced. On one hand I hope that he really was sick and that I didn't kill my fish just being paranoid, but on the hand if it was velvet that means there still may be some in my DT. My tang still looks perfect and previously I thought he was swimming into flow from the powerheads but I think I was just worrying myself. I know that you can't always see the parasite on the fish but with his dark colors I hope that I would.

Follow up question. I need to swap my stand out (red sea stand failing) for the replacement soon. Since I have to pull the fish out anyway, should I place them all in QT and proactively treat with copper? I really don't want to leave the DT fallow for that long and I'm honestly worried that treating healthy fish is a risk. Thoughts?

Right now I have 5 chromis, 1 mandarin (I've read that they don't do well in copper?), yellow watchman with pistol (they are bros so I'd prefer not to split them up) the white tail tang, 1 cardinal, 2 clowns and a royal gramma. Is there such a thing as doing a light dose of copper to minimize stress on the fish?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back