*Is to much bottled bacteria bad?*

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to address bit of algae issue. Phos, Nitrates & nutrients as a whole are all in check. Just trying to introduce a wide range of bacteria to help with the variety and balance. Concerned with the same and I'm following the general directions with not introducing more than 1 product in one day. Doing: MB7, MB Clean and Waste Away. Basically follow their weekly dosing instructions per product.

Who knows if it's too much into a 180, but so far no issues. Algae getting better, but that could be just naturally balancing and CUCs. I guess the general goal is to have a well divested bacteria population at the end of the day which comes naturally with tank age.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a link you saw where that worked for algae

if the link can’t be found, don’t guess around with your system like that, undo all that with new clean water.

choose a work link that has the presentation and outcome you want, don’t make a guess stew mix.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a link you saw where that worked for algae

if the link can’t be found, don’t guess around with your system like that, undo all that with new clean water.

choose a work link that has the presentation and outcome you want, don’t make a guess stew mix.
Dino

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying any bottle of bacteria .
it states to use the entire contents as they will die .

dosing too much isn’t ideal because it will die , which only leads to excess nutrients .

if there is too much of any specific bacteria they will compete for oxygen , food , the rest will die .
but knowing you have sufficient bacteria in the end .
Whether you use the entire contents or save them . Not all are going to live

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed approximately 97ml of Instant Ocean bottled bacteria, in my 29g tank. (Bottle says, “treats up to 75 gallons”)

The back of the bottle says, “Use entire contents”

So my questions is: Can I go ahead and dose the entire bottle, because it says I should? Or is it possible to overdose?
I assume you mean BIO-Spira? If so it was originally developed by Dr. Tim. I haven't used BIO-Spira but I have used Dr. Tim's One and Only. It is supposedly just a refined version of BIO-Spira. It is also a "use the whole bottle" product. I originally dosed half a bottle in a 15 gallon tank (treats 30 gallon bottle). It did not seem to be working very well. After doing a bunch of reading two things emerged. 1. You need to shake the bottle VERY well as the bacterial media tends to settle on the bottom and 2. use the entire bottle. When I went back and dumped in the rest the cycle took off.

So can you dose too much? Of course you can dose too much of almost anything but in this case the extra will just die off in the tank and not the bottle plus you will have a better chance of getting the stuff that collects in the bottom of the bottle.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Context is important here as to which bottle bac. Cycling types yes use the entire bottle as per directions. Other Bac additions to an otherwise cycled running/mature tank should also be dose per directions. They tell you to be careful and not contaminate the bottle when dosing. Imagine losing an entire 1L MB7 bottle because you got tank water into it.

For the bac add-on type: fair point on the nature competition and I assume whatever you add with either replicate or get killed off by out competing types. Getting to this bacteria diversity is the goal to naturally compete with common dino or cyano type problems.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Context is important here as to which bottle bac. Cycling types yes use the entire bottle as per directions. Other Bac additions to an otherwise cycled running/mature tank should also be dose per directions. They tell you to be careful and not contaminate the bottle when dosing. Imagine losing an entire 1L MB7 bottle because you got tank water into it.

For the bac add-on type: fair point on the nature competition and I assume whatever you add with either replicate or get killed off by out competing types. Getting to this bacteria diversity is the goal to naturally compete with common dino or cyano type problems.
Excellent point.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back